Midtown Madness doesn't start on Windows 10

Garfield1970
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Midtown Madness doesn't start on Windows 10

Postby Garfield1970 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Hello,

I've installed Midtown Madness 2 on Windows 10 but unfortunately it doesn't start. :( There is no error message and I see no process for it in task manager (or maybe the process is there for a second only, I don't know).

I've searched for a solution here already but didn't find something which matches my problem.

I try to start the game as administrator and in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP 3. (I've also tried other Windows versions, but no one worked). I've also downladed that dgVoodoo stuff and copied the 3 DLLs into the folder of MM2. But I couldn't follow the guide for that completely, of course. There stood something like "start the game and set dgVoodoo as graphics card" - this I cannot do because the game doesn't start at all. So dgVoodo for me is no solution, too.

I've also installed three patches - one official patch for Windows XP, a speedboot patch and one patch for a heap problem (I found this advice here in the forum), but it didn't work, too. MM2 still doesn't start.

Has anyone an idea what I could do to make MM2 start?

Kind regards,
Garfield

Michaelx1
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Midtown Madness doesn't start on Windows 10

Postby Michaelx1 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Have you enabled legacy components

Garfield1970
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Garfield1970 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Hello Michael,

thanks for your answer!

I don't have enabled any legacy components. Maybe they are activated by default. I have bought my laptop with preinstalled Windows 10.

Up to now I couldn't find how I can check or change that. I have Windows 10 Home - are the legacy components available with that version?

Which of that components could cause problems for MM2?

Kind regards,
Garfield

DjDecibel
MM2 eXtreme Owner
MM2 eXtreme Owner
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Italy

Postby DjDecibel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:31 pm

when you extract the dgvoodoo you should set there the graphic, post a screen of the dgvodoo screen if you can

Garfield1970
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Garfield1970 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Hello DjDecibel,

I changed only one option in dgVoodoo: I set the VRAM value to 128 MB. All other options I let unchanged.

But because MM2 doesn't start (and with this I really mean that I cannot see not even any configuration or start screen) I cannot configure dgVoodoo as graphics card for MM2. So dgVoodoo is not used by MM2 currently, and as long as the game doesn't start I cannot change this. :( So I think that configuration of dgVoodoo should be not the problem now.

Kind regards,
Garfield

Michaelx1
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Michaelx1 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:31 am

Here what the_most_wanted said

“Just follow these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel > Programs.

2. Click on "Turn Windows features on or off"

3. Scroll down and mark on "Legacy Components" then hit "OK"

I hope that helped.”

Garfield1970
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Garfield1970 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Hello Michael,

o.k., I found that menue. Under "Legacy Components" there is one point only: "Direct Play". It was activated. I've deactivated it, but it makes no difference. Midtown Madness 2 doesn't start, no matter if Direct Play is active or not. :(

Kind regard,
Garfield

P.S.: I found a trial version of MM2. This version is running. It runs with lags sometimes, but it runs. I've deinstalled my full version and installed it once again - but it still doesn't start. :(

DjDecibel
MM2 eXtreme Owner
MM2 eXtreme Owner
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Italy

Postby DjDecibel » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 pm

[quote="Garfield1970";p="110964"]Hello DjDecibel,

I changed only one option in dgVoodoo: I set the VRAM value to 128 MB. All other options I let unchanged.

But because MM2 doesn't start (and with this I really mean that I cannot see not even any configuration or start screen) I cannot configure dgVoodoo as graphics card for MM2. So dgVoodoo is not used by MM2 currently, and as long as the game doesn't start I cannot change this. :( So I think that configuration of dgVoodoo should be not the problem now.

Kind regards,
Garfield[/quote]

set in dgvodoo:
Videocard = "dgvodoo Virtual 3D accelerated Card", copy again the 3 files and try

Garfield1970
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Garfield1970 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 pm

Hello DjDecibel,

I think, value  "dgvodoo Virtual 3D accelerated Card" is the default value for parameter Videocard. It's already set in my dgVoodoo.

Maybe dgVoodoo would help to solve the problem with the lags in the trial version. But that trial version is restricted - you cannot drive everywhere, for example. I want to play the full version.

I assume that's a problem with the EXE file. Maybe it's damaged or something like that. :(

Kind regards,
Garfield

carfan1061
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Postby carfan1061 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 am

Try starting mm2 in safe mode, by double clicking the relevant .exe in the game directory.

Another thing you can try is, use a different version of "dgvoodoo", also make sure your anti-virus didn't delete any .dll files when you extracted them, there should be 3 dll files (you need all files from the "MS" folder).