No clue what happened

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Game won

Postby Midtown2 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:38 am

Hello friends

So I had MM2 working beautifully on my windows 10 dell insprion; I had the windows 8 patch as well as dgVoodoo installed. Slowly though, the game would start crashing when I scrolled over certain cars, and the number of cars that crashed the game increased to the point where I couldn

carfan1061
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Postby carfan1061 » Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 pm

In my experience, every time you start the game close it, put cars/mods/tracks in, start it and repeat, the game builds cache.
I believe it is such actions that cause the game to be more prone to crashing(even with the heap patch).

The way I deal with this, is to re-install the game.
Since that didn't work try deleting the "player" folder, or in some cases you will need to delete game folder.

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby Midtown2 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:06 pm

I did delete the players folder. I'll mess around with it a bit more but I'm completely clueless as to why it won't start at all anymore. Like it's not even showing up in the task manager as if it were trying to start.

Jeremiahjobling
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Great Britain

Postby Jeremiahjobling » Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 am

It's things like this that make me apprehensive about running MM2 on all these post-Windows 7 OSes newer operating systems like Windows 10 etc, despite all the patches and fixes that are out to allow MM2 to run on them. Older games should stay with older systems IMO.
Dubai = Supercarland

When it comes to normal street driving, any car is as good as good as any other. Only the racetrack can truly separate the cars' abilities.

--

In my opinion, BlameTruth is the Jeremy Clarkson of gamers and gameplay video commentators on the internet. You can follow him on Twitter here

carfan1061
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby carfan1061 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 pm

I have the latest windows 10 update and mm2 runs flawlessly.

If it's a windows 10 problem, consider buying a decent pc, you don't need shell out

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Postby KingAndy » Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 am

Windows 10 is actually quite retro-game friendly, at least much more than its predecessor. Sure as tech evolves it gets more and more prone to incompatibility issues, but you'd be missing out all the new tech perks (and convenience) of running it on a newer machine running an up-to-date OS.

It's quite a common practice when it comes to solve any game issues, but have you removed all the mods you have and tried to launch the game? For some reason sometimes the order of the mods in the directory may cause this kind of issue, or even some problematic mod. Also, it could help saying which version of dgVoodoo are you using, since I've ran into similar problems by using an incompatible build (back then the latest release); even a build that was working flawlessly began giving problems later on, too.

Finally, I have to add my own opinion to carfan's recommendation to buy a 2nd hand PC - I can assure you I really enjoy saving some money buying used stuff, but used PCs are something I don't really want to step into. Desktops have a lot to be said considering the now dying GPU cryptomining craze that results in plenty of fried machines and GPUs going for sale, certainly something to avoid. Regarding laptops, even what seems to be in great condition might be a money sinkhole - a machine used frequently in the bed, the couch and such, getting the air vents constantly blocked and thermal throttling all the time (you'd be amazed by the amount of people who think a laptop being burning hot and never having been taken for a cleanup to be totally normal) as many people do with these will eventually result in faulty CPUs, graphics chips and motherboards, usually without giving definitive tell-tale signs until later on, and given the modern construction of these machines with the chips soldered into the mobo and even sometimes all enclosed not meant to be serviced, repairs might require the replacement of the entire guts of the PC with an obviously costly pricetag.

On the bottom line, I'd only buy a 2nd hand PC if it was either ridiculously cheap and already expecting it to be broken/ not a daily machine or a refurbished machine from a certified seller with warranty.
Best active member avatar
Best active member MM1 screenshot-er
Friendliest active member

Most helpful active member
Best MM2 car converter of the year
Best MM2 innovation of the year
Author of the best MM2 mod of the year
Best active user's self amatory site

carfan1061
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby carfan1061 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:21 am

For some reason sometimes the order of the mods in the directory may cause this kind of issue, or even some problematic mod.
I find this smoke mod in particular to be very problematic and causes the game to crash on startup.

Finally, I have to add my own opinion to carfan's recommendation to buy a 2nd hand PC - I can assure you I really enjoy saving some money buying used stuff, but used PCs are something I don't really want to step into. Desktops have a lot to be said considering the now dying GPU cryptomining craze that results in plenty of fried machines and GPUs going for sale, certainly something to avoid. Regarding laptops, even what seems to be in great condition might be a money sinkhole - a machine used frequently in the bed, the couch and such, getting the air vents constantly blocked and thermal throttling all the time (you'd be amazed by the amount of people who think a laptop being burning hot and never having been taken for a cleanup to be totally normal) as many people do with these will eventually result in faulty CPUs, graphics chips and motherboards, usually without giving definitive tell-tale signs until later on, and given the modern construction of these machines with the chips soldered into the mobo and even sometimes all enclosed not meant to be serviced, repairs might require the replacement of the entire guts of the PC with an obviously costly pricetag.

On the bottom line, I'd only buy a 2nd hand PC if it was either ridiculously cheap and already expecting it to be broken/ not a daily machine or a refurbished machine from a certified seller with warranty.
If you actually plan on getting a better pc, here are two which I recommend.

Dell OptiPlex 390

Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p

These are by no means gaming pc's, but should run older games like mm2 just fine (considering your can do without 60fps).

About laptops, I really don't recommend that, since you need to pay more money to match the performance with desktop ps'c.
Laptops are made for potability, so it's really not worth considering buying one if it's gonna sit on a desk all day.

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby Midtown2 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 am

Hello again friends

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I

carfan1061
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby carfan1061 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 pm

You can get the latest DgVooDoo here, the top link is the latest release.

I hope this helps :)

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby Midtown2 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:00 pm

Still nothing. It pops up in the task manager for a second and then goes away. I don't think this is a graphics problem; I just don't understand why the game won't start at all, just after a reinstall. Oh well.

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby Midtown2 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:04 am

Lol as a side note, I finally caved and bought an Xbox off my friend for like $50 and immediately ordered MM3 (cuz I was like there

THE_DriverX
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Postby THE_DriverX » Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Still nothing. It pops up in the task manager for a second and then goes away. I don't think this is a graphics problem; I just don't understand why the game won't start at all, just after a reinstall. Oh well.
Has there been any Windows Updates that have been applied recently? Sometimes this can break compatibility with some app/games. Driver updates, maybe? It's hard to tell with not being there in person to diagnosis. Might want to check this out: https://github.com/Fireboyd78/mm2hook ... I haven't tried it out yet (I just downloaded it now), but a feature that would intrest you is the "console window". From what I understand, it should output everything that's going on from MM2 running to termination.

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby Midtown2 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:13 am

I think I have an idea but need help figuring it out.

So way back when I first got this game working for the first time on this laptop (I