Midtown Madness 3 on XQEMU

It gets to menus

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Midtown Madness 3 on XQEMU

Postby SuperSecret » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 am

I just wanted to share this: I just tested MM3 on XQEMU, besides the fact that it's unbearably slow (about 10 times slower than it should be, 1 FPS average, with debug disabled), it gets to menus, but it crashes just before going ingame.

ImageAuthor of best MM2 track add-on of the year (2014) - Best Programmer (2015)
ImageBest programmer (2013 - 2014) - Best MM2 innovation of the year (2014)
ImageAuthor of best MM2 mod of the year (2013)

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Postby BIGzee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Dummiesboy and aaro4130 might be able to help. Seems they've already tried messing around with multiple emulators long ago. Is the emulator running the raw input from the original CD or have you modified the data to get it running in the first place ?
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby SuperSecret » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:06 pm

The DVD data has not been edited in any way. Anyway this is not a help request, I just posted the result of a test, it crashes just because it's not fully compatible yet. By the way, the only Xbox emulators (apart from Microsoft's Xbox backwards compatibility mode for Xbox 360, which can't run MM3) made so far are Xeon, Cxbx, Dxbx, and XQEMU. Xeon only works partially with Halo, Dxbx is just a clone of Cxbx written in delphi, and Cxbx can't even boot MM3, since LTCG (used in MM3) does not work with the HLE approach used by Cxbx, while XQEMU uses LLE, and that's why it's so slow, apart from lack of optimization. (LTCG means Link-Time Code Generation, HLE means High Level Emulation, LLE means Low Level Emulation, those terms are a bit complicated to explain)
ImageAuthor of best MM2 track add-on of the year (2014) - Best Programmer (2015)

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Nice and interesting try, SuperSecret, thanks for posting. :) Emulate most of Xbox games on PC properly is still an hard challenge nowadays...
I didn't know this other Xbox emulator; I knew about that game emulation limit of Xeon and about the origin from CXBX (no more supported, as far as I know) of DXBX.
Surely you had to extract the game disc data in order to load them in the emulator, right?
Dummiesboy and aaro4130 might be able to help. Seems they've already tried messing around with multiple emulators long ago.
Carking1996 was who, together with Dummiesboy, did some attempts of MM3 emulation on PC. Here's the topic. From the reply, you can read that I got to see that an old member called Pabolo apparently succeeded to play MM3 on PC with CXBX.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby SuperSecret » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Surely you had to extract the game disc data in order to load them in the emulator, right?
Of course, I dumped the MM3 DVD contents long time ago using my modded Xbox and saved them in my PC.
From the reply, you can read that I got to see that an old member called Pabolo apparently succeeded to play MM3 on PC with CXBX.
Actually, he didn't, he just asked about MM3 on the CXBX forum. Some posts in particular: here he asked about compatibility, here he posted his tests (where MM3 did not run at all!), here he asked the CXBX developer to add support for MM3, and the developer replied that it was not possible.
Near the end of this post the aforementioned developer explained why LTCG was a problem.