Another ambitious project

...and some queries

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Another ambitious project

Postby e-cobra » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:31 pm

I started this a few days ago, didn't wanted to post here until I get this map working in game, but right now, I've some questions that needed to be resolved first.
So what I'm making is the town I live in. It currently has over 30 intersections and I won't be adding more. I've also modeled a few unique buildings and landmarks; but can't show them yet as they require some finishing touches.
I'll be posting progress here, whenever I get time. Right now, my main concern is that do roads_ objects really require a 'rlow' (low resolution) texture? If yes, are multiple materials attached to the ROADS_ object or does a single material has the main and the lo-res texture? :wassat:
And how are intersections textured?
Like if I have sidewalk, crosswalk and the intersection as separate objects, do I have to assign iwalk, icross and isurf materials to them individually?
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Poland

Postby sajmon14 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:41 pm

You just assign that texture that was first on the list, I think it was the isurf. And yes the rlow is needed but you can just copy the rmain material and it wont be a big difference

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Yeah, a really ambitions project. It looks on the good way so far, good luck and work with it. :)

About the materials for the PSDL terrain blocks, they're automatically mapped on them. The "low resolution" texture is required for the roads blocks and are used for the far distance displaying of them in-game (you can see that this is done with the default game cities already). About the assignment, assign the first one of each group of three to the roads and to the intersections; the materials order of the exported 3DS file is really important for how they have to be used when MM2 City Toolkit generates the PSDL terrain.
Check the program manual, that's well explained. I used to see about that time ago, but now I can't remember everything.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Postby BIGzee » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Great progress and Good luck with this :D. And a little question that was never answered before - does the .3ds file have to be exported only by zm1.07b and nothing else ?
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Postby zoot » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Great progress and Good luck with this :D. And a little question that was never answered before - does the .3ds file have to be exported only by zm1.07b and nothing else ?
It can be from any software. 3DS max is preferred to model as it's MUCH quicker than Zmodeler, but most people think it costs a lot, but that's only for commercial use. You can get a student version for free, which is perfect for projects like this.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner