Midtown Madness 3: Unofficial PC porting project

Preliminary Pre-Alpha Preview Build 7 [Project inactive]

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Postby SuperSecret » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Actually I haven't thought about it, since the development is still in its early phase.
ImageAuthor of best MM2 track add-on of the year (2014) - Best Programmer (2015)
ImageBest programmer (2013 - 2014) - Best MM2 innovation of the year (2014)
ImageAuthor of best MM2 mod of the year (2013)

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Postby cody » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:11 pm

WOW! I didn't know you got so far with this! :D But I have a question: How do I mod the city pak files? Is there a special program for those, in the same was as deAr extracts MM2's main ar files? I want to be able to make new cities, like an MM3 analog of Abandoned City, but of Paris or DC, or even port MM2 cities over.
My Member Number is prime. LOL!

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby SuperSecret » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:33 pm

There is no publicly available program capable of editing MM3's .pak files. In fact, this project is the only program capable of loading them, and still not completely. Anyway, for modding I can add support for ad hoc formats or even MM2 formats. Modding MM3 cities is a bit more difficult, but it could be done with an ad-hoc system. (something that tells the game to replace something in the xbc/pak file with something else (this when loading the game, without editing the files))
ImageAuthor of best MM2 track add-on of the year (2014) - Best Programmer (2015)

anshumansri
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Postby anshumansri » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:33 pm

FOR YOU TO GET THIS WORKING would literally be the best day of my life... i have been waiting to play this game for the last 8 years.... IS IT FINALLY TIME YET !!! :o:o:o:o:o

Cariboost
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Cariboost » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Go Go Go everyone is waiting for next build !

heyitsjack
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Postby heyitsjack » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:51 am

This sounds amazing, good luck on getting this finished!

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Postby BIGzee » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:26 pm

So, this COULD support PSDLs and INSTs as the only advantages of an ad-hoc system ? Or is it capable of much more ? That would make the game greatly moddable !!
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby SuperSecret » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:59 pm

For modding, there are two main areas:

1) Adding new tracks and cars: here things are easier, I can:
  • Add support for MM2 cities/cars (or any other game, in theory)
    And/or create ad-hoc formats for cars and cities (I could also implement things not present in MM2/3, possibilities are virtually endless)
2) Modding stock MM3 cities and cars: here things get more complicated, as the formats are complex, to make things easier I can implement something that replaces parts of the original files (textures, for example) with new ones.

Anyway, during the last month I had to study for an exam (I study computer engineering), so I couldn't make any real progress. I just resumed, here is what I plan to add in the next build (it will take a while to implement everything in the list):
  • Graphics settings menu (basic things such as screen resolution, AA, draw distance, etc.)

In-game HUD:
    • Speedometer (analog and digital)
      Map
      Pause menu
      Rear view mirror
    Cars:
    • Auto-Reset when upside down
      Transmission
      Sound
      Headlights and brake lights
    Misc:
    • Startup loading screen
      Controller settings menu
    Basic city objects loading (i.e. just putting the objects in place, no special effects for now)
A note about antialiasing: the bug reported by carking1996 is caused by the conflict between MSAA antialiasing and the texture atlases used by MM3. The only way to fix it is using FXAA instead of MSAA.

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Postby zoot » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:44 pm

I've noticed you're using OnGUI, Unity's old UI system, why not lay out the UI in tne new system, uGUI, then you can assign stuff to where it's needed, and it's also independent of the resolution, so it'll work with any resolution and resize as needed. That'll take you less time, and it's very easy to use and get things going. I just assign stuff when I load the car into the game.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby SuperSecret » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:30 pm

I'll take a look at it. Anyway, I already programmed the UI to adapt to every resolution and aspect ratio.

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Postby zoot » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Yes, but unity's new UI(included since 4.6) does it automatically if you set it to. :)
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

jojo337
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Postby jojo337 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Hi ! I'm a old MM user since the 1999 game was released ! However, I never played mm3 because it was only an xbox game... and so nobody remember this game, nobody add mods on it, etc.

I tested your game and it is very impressive ! The menu is from mm3 I suppose, you are doing a very great job ! It works great on my computer (w10 i5 3570k 7950 8GB SSD), and with the Renault 5 I can take the stairs in Paris :lol: (if we are fast).

Something fun : The xbox 360 controller works, but only the pad (to go up down left right), in the future for your final game (I wish you finish this !!! Courage) you could add controller support, and maybe accelerate and brake with analog LT and RT buttons, like newer games !

Very good ! Keep going :)

Jojo337 (sorry for my mistakes)

SuperSecret
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby SuperSecret » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Update: In the last weeks I've been trying to implement vehicle engines properly, since the system I was using before was basically a hack job from the ground up to mimic the original cars' performance, and it didn't support engine RPM, so it couldn't handle gears properly (especially manual transmission). I've been stuck for a while, but now I obtained something decent enough, now I need to tune again the cars for the new system, then I'll add sound and everything else.

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Postby KingAndy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Sounds great, I'm looking forward for the next version.
Best active member avatar
Best active member MM1 screenshot-er
Friendliest active member

Most helpful active member
Best MM2 car converter of the year
Best MM2 innovation of the year
Author of the best MM2 mod of the year
Best active user's self amatory site

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month