Best Midtown Madness 2 breakout of the year
Funniest active member

carmaniac
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Postby carmaniac » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:13 pm

The story, if you guys want it:

"Well, when i was 4, my dad bought a trusty XBox. you know, the first, ruggedy, blocky one from 2001. we had tons and tons and tons of fun playing all kinds of games together - until he died, when i was just 6.

i couldnt touch that console for 10 years.

but once i did, i noticed something.

we used to play a racing game, Rally Sports Challenge. actually pretty awesome for the time it came.

and once i started meddling around... i found a GHOST.

literaly.

you know, when a time race happens, that the fastest lap so far gets recorded as a ghost driver? yep, you guessed it - his ghost still rolls around the track today.

and so i played and played, and played, untill i was almost able to beat the ghost. until one day i got ahead of it, i surpassed it, and...~

i stopped right in front of the finish line, just to ensure i wouldnt delete it.
Bliss." -00WARTHERAPY00

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Postby e-cobra » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm

A 'ghost' driving as a human opponent in a two-player race? Doesn't sound legit to me. :wassat: The user didn't give enough information on how exactly the experience was, like did the ghost hijacked one of the AI cars or did it control the other car in a two player game, as I said. Maybe this is a kind of imagination of the child after such a tragic event?
I'm not sure whether I myself believe in the existence of ghosts or not, but if others do, here's something they should consider: How does the ghost take inputs from the environment and process them if it is not made up of real matter?
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

carmaniac
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby carmaniac » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 pm

A 'ghost' driving as a human opponent in a two-player race? Doesn't sound legit to me. :wassat: The user didn't give enough information on how exactly the experience was, like did the ghost hijacked one of the AI cars or did it control the other car in a two player game, as I said. Maybe this is a kind of imagination of the child after such a tragic event?
I'm not sure whether I myself believe in the existence of ghosts or not, but if others do, here's something they should consider: How does the ghost take inputs from the environment and process them if it is not made up of real matter?
What he meant is that his dad's "ghost" from a time attack mode, not a supernatural ghost if you get what I mean.

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Diatosta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:20 pm

Yeah, like when you play a racing game and after that appears your ghost for you to try beat it and improve your time ;)
[color=white]MM2 lover! Yeah![/color]
[color=white]diatosta.pt[/color]

[color=white]Also, gotta love when people don't publicize their work or ask for support in their signatures. Also don't forget to check my unfinished mods and donate to my Paypal

Also, one of my trucks[/color]
[img][/img]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Just read this story a while ago from a videogames world website. It's a nice credible one, where the son is rightly afraid to beat the dad's best time of one of the game's tracks and so lost that memory of him. If you use to play racing games, you must know what's the so called "ghost car". :P
However, don't forget that this kind of stories can well be fake, and the Internet it's full of them.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Midtown2 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:29 pm

I just saw that... That's cool

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Postby e-cobra » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:14 am

What he meant is that his dad's "ghost" from a time attack mode, not a supernatural ghost if you get what I mean.
He's referring to the old record time of his dad as ghost? Hmm...
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Diatosta » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:23 am

Ghost car is what it is normally what it is referred as. An example of a ghost car in Gran Turismo:

As you can see, the ghost car is somewhat transparent, and is the previous record of the track, played as you race as if it was a replay that is happening in front of you, so you can try to beat it and improve your time ;)

[color=white]Also, gotta love when people don't publicize their work or ask for support in their signatures. Also don't forget to check my unfinished mods and donate to my Paypal

[img][/img]

COOLGUY200
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 13 years

Postby COOLGUY200 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Yeah, but you can keep your ghost cars on a memory card in Gran Turismo, too. That would have been a better story if the story was centered around a PS2 and Gran Turismo 4...

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby aaro4130 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Yeah, but you can keep your ghost cars on a memory card in Gran Turismo, too. That would have been a better story if the story was centered around a PS2 and Gran Turismo 4...
So you're saying that it would have been better in GT4? Howcome? =/
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Diatosta » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:32 pm

M8, here's the thing. This is a true story (apparently), so if it happened in another game other than GT, well, too bad. Too bad it was Rallisport, but yeah.

[img][/img]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Various sources seem to say that this is a real story, but however, only who originally wrote it can know.
Well, thanks for the info, but if they liked the first Xbox (which has been a very good console for its period, IMHO) and especially liked rally games (I used to be a fan of rally racing games rather than circuit racing games), was a their choice...
A different racing game couldn't make this particular story better, at all, because the played game is just a particular... The important and needed feature of it is the presence of the saving of the best track time with the ghost car.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

carmaniac
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby carmaniac » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:24 pm

Ughhhhh sometimes this forum gets on my nerves... Who cares if the ghost wasn't in GT4 or some other game?