RAM ID

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

RAM ID

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:27 pm

Probably you all know that Microsoft's cutting support for XP in April. I use XP cause I use a lot of older programs that might not run on a newer system. However, I have a Windows 7 disk so I can upgrade whenever. My thought was just run two operating systems--switch to xp to run my old programs, switch to 7 to use internet.
My machine is decent and can handle this just fine. However, I've been running on one RAM card for a while, ever since I discovered my other was corrupted. Its only about 500 MB, and running on so little, especially playing newer games, I've noticed a bit of lag that wasn't there before I took out the other RAM card.

So, before I add 7 to this machine, I want to get a new RAM or two, so I can have a total of 1.5 or 2 GB.

The problem is, I've got dozens of RAM cards from older computers (I collect a lot of parts), and none of them fit because of a little slot on the card that fits over a little hump o the motherboard (you know what I'm talking about, right?).
So, I need a specific [model?] of RAM card.

The main question I have after all this explanation is, how do I identify the exact sort I need? The corrupt card's label has lots of numbers and letters on it, but which set tells me what I need to know?

If it helps, I have a Dell Dimension 8400.
[color=red]Religion: Man going to God
Christianity: God coming to man

SSMC Studio, offering emergency vehicle conversion from GTA SA, GTA IV, ETS2, & DSF to MM2. See what I do [url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5566]here[/url][/color]

America faces a threat worse than ever before. Yesterday, George taxed our tea. Today, Obama taxes our freedom. Tomorrow, someone may tax our mortal lives. We must act now, to stop this threat. The Rebel Alliance begins here.

Kunal2045
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Kunal2045 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 am

Yes you need a specific RAM thats compatible with you MB. I've done a little research towards your pc model. You need a memory type of DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC). According to crucial.com

For Windows 7, I suggest you increase the RAM to 4GB.

Hope it helps. ;)
[align=center][color=black]Sig[/color]
[img]https://www.imgweave.com/view/4838.png[/img][/align]

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 am

"For Windows 7, I suggest you increase the RAM to 4GB"

Yeah, wasn't sure if more RAM helped or not. Thanks for clearing me on that as well.

SSMC Studio, offering emergency vehicle conversion from GTA SA, GTA IV, ETS2, & DSF to MM2. See what I do [url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5566]here[/url][/color]

America faces a threat worse than ever before. Yesterday, George taxed our tea. Today, Obama taxes our freedom. Tomorrow, someone may tax our mortal lives. We must act now, to stop this threat. The Rebel Alliance begins here.

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:02 pm

Oh wonderous day to be alive, my new RAM has arrived and I'm getting on splendidly. Within the hour, I will have my Windows 7 transition over and done with!