Is it possible to build maps with Trimble Sketchup?

austint30
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Is it possible to build maps with Trimble Sketchup?

Postby austint30 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:00 am

I really love modeling in Sketchup, is it possible to make MM2 maps?

If not, can a .dae file be converted into a special file that works on MM2?

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Essentially, you can use any 3D modeling program to model at least the map landscape, but at the end, you must recur to the tools made appositely for MM2 to finish the works. The important, is organize well the objects and the materials, and finally export all in 3DS file format so to be able to import, fix and finish it in ZModeler. At the end, through ZModeler you export a new .3ds file that will have to be adapt to be used with the MM2 City Toolkit program.
I know that the Pro version of Google SketchUp can export in 3DS file format. For the DAE file format, if I'm not wrong, there's a plug-in for Blender which allows to import this file type in there, to be successively exported in 3DS format.
Concerning ZModeler 2, you can use it only for modeling because it doesn't support MM2; once finished the modeling work, it's enough export in the older ZModeler 1 .z3d format to refine the work there and finally export in .3ds for the successive steps in MM2 City Toolkit program. Exists a MM2 PKG filter made appositely for ZModeler 2, here the topic about it; I haven't tried it, but maybe it's made to export only cars type .pkg files.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Postby e-cobra » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 am

As Franch said, you can make tracks in Sketchup and the .dae file can be eventually converted to .3ds.
Here's a small hilly terrain I created in blender today:

You can make tracks for MM2 if you can successfully make a .3ds file of your creation.
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]