Map-maker's Dream

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Map-maker's Dream

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:51 am

What's the chances of being able to somehow link all the most awesome mm2 maps together as one?

Example: Instead of destinationless highways, why not connect SF and London. A few roads could connect london with good "british based" maps. The unused bridge (whatever its called) in SF could be modded via the drive on (name) bridge mod and change it to go into Archipelago. A SF Tunnel could lead to a race track. Just somehow taking all the best of the best and modding them slightly, then putting them all on one big grid. It'd take away the need to have so many map files in the directory and the need to exit and switch. And an awesome huge place to play cops and robbers...

Not that I'll ever have skill enough to do a simple map and not that anyone else wants to or can, but just a visionary idea. :oops: :lol:
[color=red]Religion: Man going to God
Christianity: God coming to man

SSMC Studio, offering emergency vehicle conversion from GTA SA, GTA IV, ETS2, & DSF to MM2. See what I do [url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5566]here[/url][/color]

America faces a threat worse than ever before. Yesterday, George taxed our tea. Today, Obama taxes our freedom. Tomorrow, someone may tax our mortal lives. We must act now, to stop this threat. The Rebel Alliance begins here.

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Postby e-cobra » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:58 am

Its a nice idea of having MM2 map bigger than GTA San Andreas, but there's a problem. If we connect SF to London via that unused bridge, the game won't be able to render so many polies and will crash. Also, its impossible to extract the 3D model of London with all textures and stuff along with SF and connect them together. This idea is at-least 'impossible' until now.
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

EnzoSkylineMiura
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Postby EnzoSkylineMiura » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Very cool idea! But, like e-cobra said, it wouldn't be able to render all those polies at once, and would crash.

Hmmm... I would love it, though. :P
[img][/img] [color=gold]MM2x Awards 2014 - Most Friendly Active Member[/color]

[img][/img]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:13 pm

You save time by making a new MM2-like game, than figure out and succeed to make this idea. Knowledge is not an optional, then. :P
Good to have suddenly considered it as a dream, because it's forced to stay as such.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Postby FXANBSS » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:02 am

its impossible to extract the 3D model of London with all textures and stuff along with SF and connect them together. This idea is at-least 'impossible' until now.
ALL IS POSSIBLE...

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby e-cobra » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:29 am

its impossible to extract the 3D model of London with all textures and stuff along with SF and connect them together. This idea is at-least 'impossible' until now.
ALL IS POSSIBLE...
Yeah... Unless we've got a way to extract completely both the cities and make the game not crash.
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:49 am

Well, GTA is a cool game, but its got a bunch of junk I could do without. MM2 is a cool game, but its boundaries are too boxed. Why not a compromise?

Race cars, fight fires, tow wrecks, gas up, complete missions, fly, wage war, flag speeders, bust gangs, go on frenzies, all the best of both worlds.

I like the idea of a new game. Why not raise a huge international team that can work off of the MM platform so that the final would be .ar compatible, then do it.

Granted, without determination, its impossible. Without setting the mark, without perseverance and a set jaw. Change all that, and almost anything can happen. I'm not saying we are the ones. I expect no one here to drop all and build a new game. But I decided if I create the spark, it will light the torch. Keep the torch burning till it finds the right firepit. Then, and only then will dream become reality.

SSMC Studio, offering emergency vehicle conversion from GTA SA, GTA IV, ETS2, & DSF to MM2. See what I do [url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5566]here[/url][/color]

America faces a threat worse than ever before. Yesterday, George taxed our tea. Today, Obama taxes our freedom. Tomorrow, someone may tax our mortal lives. We must act now, to stop this threat. The Rebel Alliance begins here.

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Diatosta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:01 am

Wow, that's almost poetry :vsad:

But yeah I like the idea, but who would make it?
[color=white]MM2 lover! Yeah![/color]
[color=white]diatosta.pt[/color]

[color=white]Also, gotta love when people don't publicize their work or ask for support in their signatures. Also don't forget to check my unfinished mods and donate to my Paypal

Also, one of my trucks[/color]
[img][/img]

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Postby aaro4130 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:24 pm

The game won't crash, it doesn't render the whole city at once.... -.-, what the hell is the point of PSDL blocks and the CVPS then?
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Diatosta » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:04 pm

So, if the cities would be extractable and joinable with software, MM2 would load them correctly?
[color=white]MM2 lover! Yeah![/color]
[color=white]diatosta.pt[/color]

[color=white]Also, gotta love when people don't publicize their work or ask for support in their signatures. Also don't forget to check my unfinished mods and donate to my Paypal

Also, one of my trucks[/color]
[img][/img]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 pm

The .cpvs files (this is the right extension writing) are made to hide some PSDL terrain blocks depending by the position of the camera for the purpose of have less lag in-game. So, with them the city blocks and PKGs above them aren't entirely and always rendered, yeah, but has also been demonstrated that the game doesn't crash and works pretty well when all the PSDL terrain blocks result visible (the .cpvs file is "switched off" by replacing it with an empty file) plus with increased drawing distance limit. Don't you remember the Dummiesboy's discover about this?
That aspect of the game working is not influent for the game crashes while the city loading. The game always loads the entire geometry and textures of the city, the cars and all the rest, and when it's too much for it, combined with the screen resolution and some other aspect probably, will result in the crash. The known game memory limits...
The PSDL terrain is subdivided in blocks because it works in this way, and each block is of a different kind, from those for the simple terrain to those used for roads and intersections connected with the traffic working.
So, if the cities would be extractable and joinable with software, MM2 would load them correctly?
Probably not, or at least, to get a chance of working, you'll have to play the game in 640x480 screen resolution, with software rendering, using a low polygons player car, set no traffic and set no pedestrians. All this, to compensate the too high number of polygons and other to load for only the city, which will saturate the memory using limits of the game.

This topic is now going away, and its finality was already clear since the beginning. The subject hasn't and practically can't be taken seriously, indeed.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 am

The known game memory limits...
The subject hasn't and practically can't be taken seriously, indeed.
So why not expand the memory?

No practicality and unable to be taken seriously...I've been told things to that effect many times. Did I fail? Sometimes. Other times I succeeded and everyone who thought the above was speechless.

So close the thread if you want. Just saying, impracticality is not the end. The end is the success or failure of an exhaustive attempt. When I say exhaustive, I mean I go to no end to find solutions when I try to solve.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:14 am

Nice words, but they can't be applied for everything, especially for things not tried by yourself... We're talking of an old and limited by default game where we haven't the source code. In these conditions there hasn't been a lot to do, and there's to see if something more can be discovered just by looking at the game executable...
Expand the memory used by the game, avoid the "Heap Overrun" error or do somewhat to avoid such game crashes because of the game limits, is an old story already discussed without a possibility found, simply because of the above mentioned reasons.

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby e-cobra » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 am

The game won't crash, it doesn't render the whole city at once.... -.-, what the hell is the point of PSDL blocks and the CVPS then?
So why does New York crashes with high poly cars?
[img][/img]

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Poland

Postby sajmon14 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:40 am

The pkg files are too detailed I think