Possible conversion to PHPBB3?

I am more than willing to help.

CarLuver69
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Possible conversion to PHPBB3?

Postby CarLuver69 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:59 am

I would like to point out that I am the one who maintains a lot of Driver Madness' back-end functions, such as database upgrades, making themes, banners, and amongst other things, so I am basically the webmaster of Driver Madness, with the administrator taking care of other things.

So my open question to everyone here, is do you think DJDecibel should enlist my help and get MM2X upgraded to PHPBB3? All of the old posts will be transferred over no problem, and nobody will lose their accounts. There is so much more you can do with PHPBB3, and is one of the most secure forum systems out there. I am a very trustworthy person who is not here to steal other people's information, so having FTP access and being a temporary administrator runs no risk to the MM2X community.

The only thing I'm worried about is that the download system will get ruined, since it seems to be integrated with PHPBB2, and there's not very many download systems such as the one present here on MM2X. There is a download mod we use on Driver Madness, but it's much different in terms of how it looks.

Since our Download section is only open to registered members, I have taken pics for you to look at so you can get an idea of how the DL mod we have works (click each thumbnail to see a big version of it):

Remember, the way it looks on DM is not how it would look here on MM2X. I am pretty good with HTML and graphic design, so I could most likely recreate the way the old MM2X looks and make the download mod page look like the way MM2X's current download system works. There's endless possibilities with my talents.

Your opinions, please!
[img]https://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2562/2010mm2cawardssilver.png[/img] [color=orange]Best MM2 Innovation - Author of best car of the year[/color]
[color=silver][i]Proud supporter of MM2X[/i][/color]

[color=#CCCCCC]How do I love thee MM2? Let me count the add-ons...
[size=134][b]Are my pictures not showing up? [url=https://photobucket.com/CL69MM2]CLICK HERE![/url][/b][/size][/color]

RacingFreak
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Postby RacingFreak » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:56 am

Mark, this is NukeBB, based on phpBB2. I PM-ed Franch about this earlier, yes it is possible, it just requires NukeBB to phpBB3 converting, but it's up to the site owner and maintainer there. MM2X is using the long way outdated PHP-Nuke, which wasn't very successful. But Decibel did awesome work over it ;)

Best suggestion would be IPB, which comes with downloads, gallery and other stuff that is easier to migrate to from PHP-Nuke.

DjDecibel
MM2 eXtreme Owner
MM2 eXtreme Owner
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Italy

Postby DjDecibel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Hello! :)
you did a good work on modding phpBB3, adn your site is very cool :) but i'm not really sure about the security of phpBB3 :D i used it on many sites.. and the bots intrusions are awesome!! :)
btw move our database to any other platform is almost impossible.. first because the size of the mm2X mysql database is 80mb ;) and second no converting plugin will work because on this site the code was totally edit, same for the database entries, so if i convert the database i will lose a lot of info!

i was thinking to install phpBB3 apart and connect only the registered users, but i will lose all the website integrations and will be a huge work for a weird result!

I was working on a new version if MM2x, but i had some financial problems recently(as you can read on the last news on the homepage)
if i'll get some support from the users i will continue my work on the site and i'll finish MM2 eXtreme v4 after 12 years of activity

@racingfreak: "awesome work" thanks :P i did tons of bugfix and improvements to this phpNuke :D and created myself the updates to the nukeBB until the last phpBB2 version :)
ipb also is a good choice but i don't really like a cms based on a forum :D and a convertion is almost impossible :D

CarLuver69
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Postby CarLuver69 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:35 pm

DJ, PHPBB2 has a built-in conversion process for when you set up the database. It is basically upgrading from 2 to 3 - no 3rd party modifications needed. PHPBB3 does it all for you. :P

Read more here: https://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... =3#convert
[img]https://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2562/2010mm2cawardssilver.png[/img] [color=orange]Best MM2 Innovation - Author of best car of the year[/color]
[color=silver][i]Proud supporter of MM2X[/i][/color]

[color=#CCCCCC]How do I love thee MM2? Let me count the add-ons...
[size=134][b]Are my pictures not showing up? [url=https://photobucket.com/CL69MM2]CLICK HERE![/url][/b][/size][/color]

DjDecibel
MM2 eXtreme Owner
MM2 eXtreme Owner
Italy

Postby DjDecibel » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:54 pm

the conversion works for phpBB2 to phpBB3, on this site i'm using a modded version of NUKEbb.. the database tables are totally different!
if you try to convert it the process will fail, because the database structure is not the same as phpBB2..
the only conversion possibile is MANUAL, editing the structures inserting the old entries of each table.. but i'll lose the website integration..

RacingFreak
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Postby RacingFreak » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:08 pm

the conversion works for phpBB2 to phpBB3, on this site i'm using a modded version of NUKEbb.. the database tables are totally different!
if you try to convert it the process will fail, because the database structure is not the same as phpBB2..
the only conversion possibile is MANUAL, editing the structures inserting the old entries of each table.. but i'll lose the website integration..
Well, there is NukeBB to phpBB2/3 converter that I used and it works like charm ;)

And indeed, NukeBB is really limited and non-secured version of phpBB2. I honestly think vBulletin will work better but it's $$$.

About Invision Power Board, the 1.3 version is completely free and very flexible (GTAForums still uses it). Just suggestions, I can always help you when it comes to forum software and support.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Premising, I'm not into the web programming and I don't know so much about it.
I though that the phpBB 2.0 to the 3.0 version forum conversion is really hard to do right because of its integration in PHP-Nuke, the base of this website, and because DjDecibel did many changes to the scripts (some seems created) and now I read that also the databes tables were changed too. Indeed, because of these many differences quicker and easier automatic conversions aren't possible, and probably that works only for the "real" phpBB 2.0 forums, that aren't part of CMS bases like here.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Gafaddict
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Postby Gafaddict » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 pm

As somebody who operates multiple sites that use phpBB2 and phpBB3, I have to say that the spambot intrusion on phpBB3 systems is alarmingly higher than those on phpBB2 systems.

Conversion scripts, as mentioned before, work only for unmodified versions of phpBB. Not to mention the fact that the way the userbase works in phpBB2 vs. phpBB3 is so drastically different, and the phpNuke software that powers MM2X relies so heavily and deeply on the phpBB2 userbase model, that an upgrade wouldn't be viable/worth it. In the context of a phpNuke site, phpBB3 offers nothing that phpBB2 doesn't offer already.
[color=white]So many rocks up in my watch I can't tell what the time is

Also, [url=https://www.mmarchive.com]Midtown Madness Archive[/url][/color]

DjDecibel
MM2 eXtreme Owner
MM2 eXtreme Owner
Italy

Postby DjDecibel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 pm

I integrated on our phpbb2 almost all the features of phpbb3 :) why should we upgrade it? :) i'll probably add some new features soon ;)

Ps: heya Gaf! :)