Windows 7 & Midtown Madness 1 Compatibility

rjmm4
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Windows 7 & Midtown Madness 1 Compatibility

Postby rjmm4 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:39 pm

I just installed Midtown Madness 1 off the CD onto my Windows 7. If you are unaware, Win7 is 10 years older than MM1. So I tried MM1 (the program, not setup) the other day, and I thought Compatibility Mode would make it work. Don't try it first. Do not change any compatibility settings for Midtown Madness itself.

When installing, this is where you should select "Windows 98 - Windows Me" for setup.exe. Otherwise, it took me 20 minutes to get the screen loaded.

You may notice the coloring may be off a bit. This may be so for 64-bit Windows 7 Operating Systems.

Why am I telling you this? I want any of you to be aware of these compatibility issues when installing on such an Operating System, such as Windows 7. I know that my older XP Service Pack 3 runs it fine, and so does Windows 98. Now, that I have the game running on Windows 7, it's actually running faster than the others! (this is, of course, with no compatibility mode settings to an earlier Windows.)

Other Notes on Midtown Madness 1 Compatibility for Windows 7:

- If you open Midtown Madness (installed on the computer) and nothing happens, go to CTRL+ALT+DEL (Windows Task Manager) and go to "Processes." Look for "midtown.exe" "midtown.exe *32" or "MIDTOWN.ICD." If none of these are found, close out of Task Manager and start the application once more.

- You may get a message telling you to click OK for the game to detect a hardware acceleration card, graphics card, or something like that. By doing so, the screen will probably flicker a couple of times, and then you'll be right in the game soon after.

- I found that after cruising, racing, etc. and returning to the race menu, sound is lost. Do not worry; Just select whatever race or cruise options you want, pick your vehicle settings, and go drive. The sound will return for loading the cruise/race, and there will also be sound in the actual cruise/race.

Thank you for letting me write all of this. I just wanted to make others aware of what may happen with a Windows 7 Operating System (which, I love, by the way).

Thank you,

"rjmm4"

Update regarding Add-On Cars and MM1 Windows 7 Compatibility

From what I have found so far, MM1 is not handling the add-on cars rather well. When I tried adding the Tahoe Cruiser, for example, the game completely quit after loading. Quite strange, to say the least.

If anyone has a similar problem or solution, it would be appreciated if you would share it.

Thanks, "rjmm4"

Widescreen resolutions getting issues
I've installed MM on my Windows 7 laptop, which has Mobility Radeon HD4270. I don't have any of the problems described in the first post up there, in fact it works fine - except I can't get widescreen! My laptop's resolution (1366x768) isn't given as an option. I have updated the graphics drivers and DirectX. Does anyone know how I might fix that?
I can get Widescreen with my ATI Mobility Radeon Graphics, yet some details for objects in MM1 looks digitalized a bit. Sorry about that. I use 1600x900, so I don't really know how that works there. Newer monitors support higher resolutions, yet that is peculiar. I just received a graphics driver update, and that is what got me the widescreen I never had before. So...yeah...don't exactly know what to say. Sometimes the older stuff just is better! :)

Also, I have no add-ons installed for this game. The Tahoe was the first (and only) thing I ever put in there.