64%

Total votes: 11
cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

New Past, Present, Future City

Postby cody » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:50 pm

I am making a city based on different time periods (Prehistoric, Modern, and Distant Future) which will be connected by long tunnels (This is the remake of my city that I was talking about on my Another Error topic, the one with a bridge over a 2000 foot canyon. I have to start over on that). I will put Jurassic Park in the Prehistoric section or the Distant future Section. I will use Zmodeler for the basics (PSDL, Hudmap), Notepad for the mmhudmap file, and 3ds Max (if I can find a good tutorial) for the animals. The city will have the following props, buildings and animals:

Prehistory Section:
Dinosaurs
Pterosaurs
Icthyosaurs and Plesiosaurs (These were marine reptiles)
Early mammals (looked sort of like mice)
Prehistoric Birds (Such as the Moa. I'll probably start making the birds in Zmodeler then use 3ds to make them higher quality using MeshSmooth)
Flintstones-style buildings

Modern Section:
Birds (using same method to make as prehistoric birds, with modern traits such as clawless wings)
Modern Mammals (I can find those on free 3D model sites)
Reptiles (Finding those on same website as mammals)
Hubble Space Telescope and International Space Station flying across the sky (Only Visible at night). this will be a sky texture.

Distant Future Section (6709 A.D.):
High Rise Skyscrapers (2 miles or taller, probably won't texture them because the textures will be overstretched)
Floating roads crisscrossing the sky, going from building to building
Dinosaurs (cloned by humans)
Jurassic Park (Based on Steven Spielberg Movie Trilogy; Place where dinosaurs are kept, other then a few small ones roaming across the earth)
Stargate (Based on Sci-Fi Series, used to travel through the Milky Way Galaxy. Use Google search to find out what it is)
Aliens (Also based on Sci-Fi Movies)
Huge billboard with a dinosaur (You can tell that I love dinosaurs. I even have one as my desktop background.)
More to come (I will put screenshots on MM2X as I make progress)

The city will be setup so that you start in the Present section and you have to go at least 3 miles to find the past and future tunnels. Use a fast car if you want to get to a different section within 6 minutes (The city will be HUGE!!!!!). Expect a beta within at most 4 months (if I can find a free file-hosting server). Can someone give me a list of free file-hosting Websites (4 at most)? I have another computer which has PSDL Viewer on it (PSDL Viewer doesn't work on this computer for some reason). I can use that to fix minor PSDL Errors (and prevent fatal errors from popping up during the loading process)
Last edited by cody on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Member Number is prime. LOL!

Zac4084
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Zac4084 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:52 pm

Nice project I guess, but do you even know how to make this city? I'm just hearing things come out of your mind, not any proof...

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby cody » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm just getting it all planned so that I can start making it when I'm ready. It may take me a long time, so be patient and wait for the screenshots. they will show you how it will look. Remember, it's going to be pretty big. can you please tell me the name of a free file-hosting site?

HummersRock
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Re: New Past, Present, Future City

Postby HummersRock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Prehistoric Birds (Such as the Moa. I'll probably start making the birds in Zmodeler then use 3ds to make them higher quality using MeshSmooth)
Just make sure they aren't too high quality. Remember, this is a ten year old game. The higher quality each object is, the fewer objects you can put on the track before it causes heap errors.
The city will be setup so that you start in the Present section and you have to go at least 3 miles to find the past and future tunnels. Use a fast car if you want to get to a different section within 6 minutes (The city will be HUGE!!!!!). Expect a beta within at most 4 months (if I can find a free file-hosting server).
I wouldn't make it too big. For one thing, if it's huge it will require a ton of objects in order to keep it interesting so people don't become bored. Too many objects and it will either lag badly even on good computer rigs or MM2 will heap and it will be unplayable.

People probably won't want to be forced to use a fast car in order to get to other areas quickly. It would probably be best to have the start location in the center and make each area equal distances from the center.
Can someone give me a list of free file-hosting Websites (4 at most)?
Mediafire (Possibly the best)
Megaupload
Hotfile
Rapidshare (Possibly the worst :P)

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby cody » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks for the file-hosting websites. I will use Mediafire because you said it's the best. Rapidshare makes you pay to have unlimited file space, so I won't use it.

Back to my city. I will make it big, but not big enough to force fast driving. As I said the center will be the Present Section, and the Past and Future sections will be at equal distances so you can get to them easily. A map will be made too, that way you can find your way around. Distances will be limited to 1 mile or less between sections, but the city will have many sections, so it may take a while to make. Screenshots will be coming in less than 1 month (Because I have other things I have to do too, such as figuring out PSDL Viewer's Units compared with Zmodeler.)

Is Photobucket free? Are there any other photo sites?

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Postby zoot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:54 pm

I like imageshack better.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

HummersRock
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Postby HummersRock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:25 pm

I like photobucket better then imageshack. I've never liked imageshack, but it seems that all image hosting sites are the same now--they all have small annoyances. I use photobucket. It's free but like almost all hosting sites you have to pay for additional storage/bandwidth if what they give you for free is not enough.
[url=https://bit.ly/znpgtp][color=deepskyblue]My MM2 Creations[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/o9c3][color=red]My MM2 Youtube[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/yfqjeq][color=green]My DeviantArt[/color][/url]

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby cody » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Here's a sample file:

https://www.mediafire.com/?a0o03sq9ydq6p00

Here's a screenshot of New York City (This is a sample):

https://img225.imageshack.us/i/100dr.png

When I get my city started I will post city screenshots from Zmodeler and MM2 in-game.
Last edited by cody on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zac4084
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby Zac4084 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Okay, now it works well. Hope to see progress now. ;)

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User

Postby cody » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:40 am

just a starter road and intersection:

working on more roads. There will be two roads going to each section.

I will make 2 versions:

Traffic version (no traffic in prehistoric section)
Abandoned version (no traffic at all)

I will make the abandoned version first because it's easier.

More screenshots coming later.

Triple_X
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Triple_X » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:52 am

in my country there is a wisdom sentence :D " The Dog that barks doesn't bite" hope you've understand what i meant to say ;)
[color=white][b][u]MM2X Awards : [/u][/b]

[img][/img] | Funniest Active Member [/color]

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby zoot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:52 am

Your making the intersections wrong, i think. ;) Nice start. And, for traffic, all vertices have to be perfect and connected. ;)

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:55 am

Good start, but make a so big project is very hard for only one person, and takes lot of time and can't be worth too, I doubt it'll be ended. If you already have the needed material is a good advantage. Making it directly with traffic then is easily possible haven't it at all, and you haven't to work more not making two versions, but there's indeed the fact of the more difficulties. Yeah, the intersection hasn't to be made in that way if you want traffic.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby zoot » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 am

I recommend making no traffic. Traffic is difficult.

Zac4084
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby Zac4084 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:10 am

Okay start, looks like good placement.