Lots of questions about track making.

About roads without sidewalks and about races.

Minapamina
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 14 years

Lots of questions about track making.

Postby Minapamina » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:04 pm

1. If I make an road without sidewalks (ROAD_) there can't be traffic on that road thats ok but can i make the races AI opponents or cops follow that road?

2. Can i make a ROAD_ or ROADS_ under an PHx_ object so that it cannot be seen, but that races AI coms and cops and possibly traffic can still follow that road so that they don't touch the ROAD_ but they drive on top of the PHx_ object?

3. in the tutorial at https://forum.mm2c.com/viewtopic.php?t=11619 at "Road without sidewalks" part it says: "Angle between AB/BC and BC/CD must be about 90 degree" but how do i make turns then if the corners must be almost 90 degrees?

Picture about what i mean at question 3:

4. If i make a race with AI opponents using ROAD_ object (lets suppose its possible), do i have to make intersections and if so, how many?

5. is it possible to make invisible ROAD_ or ROADS_ objects by using some .tga textures with alpha channels that make the texture totally invisible?

That was it. If you know answer to any of these problems please reply and put the answer like this:

"2. No because that is...

4. Yes it could be but..."

so that 2. is answer to question 2 and 4. is answer to question 4.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:59 pm

A bit hard and specific questions, but I give my best in replying them.

1. If on the ROAD_ objects type the traffic don't work, sure neither the opponent and the cop cars can work on it, because is used the .bai file for the traffic to drive and control them too.

2. That's a good idea, I thought about a such thing too, probably it will work, because there are the PSDL terrain road and intersection parts for traffic under it and the PKG objects (generated by MM2 City Toolkit through the PHx_named objects) isn't a obstacle for the cars working. Playing the default game cities can happen many times that the cop car drives without big problems on PKG objects or however a bit far away from the roads with traffic.

3. I haven't well get the question, but from that image is so clear the way how you have to make the turns. You can split it in more parts to make it more curvy, using more polygons.

4. As far as I know, the races opponents are controlled right from the intersections values in the .bai file, not really from the roads, and since the .bai file is connected with the roads with traffic PSDL terrain parts with their intersections, the use of the ROAD_ objects (I don't know what name they have in the PSDL terrain, maybe they're simple blocks) can't work.
A minimum of 3 intersections and 2 roads for traffic (ROADS_ objects for the MM2 City Toolkit) is required for the working of traffic, races opponents and cop car.

5. Yes, that works. The alpha channel of .tga or .tex textures works without problems for any PSDL terrain part, but the PKG, PROP and other objects never get visible through it.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Silent1Unknown
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Silent1Unknown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:29 am

3. Maybe it only has to be almost 90 degrees for the first block or atleast one block in the whole ROAD_ object.

Image BEST MM2 SCREENSHOOTER | BEST PHOTOSHOPPER
Image MOST FRIENDLY MEMBER | BEST MM2 WEBSITE

Minapamina
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 14 years

Postby Minapamina » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 pm

1. If on the ROAD_ objects type the traffic don't work, sure neither the opponent and the cop cars can work on it, because is used the .bai file for the traffic to drive and control them too.
But on San Fransisco's last checkpoint race "panoz pressure" the opponent cars drive trough the parkhouse that leads to the motorway, but traffic cars can't, or won't drive that road.

And in the San Fransisco checkpoint race number 3? There the opponent cars drive trough the grass area without any problem. :wassat:

And cop cars can drive on grass areas too on SF.
3. I haven't well get the question, but from that image is so clear the way how you have to make the turns. You can split it in more parts to make it more curvy, using more polygons.
i mean that the corner under the A letter is not 90 degrees.

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Poland

Postby sajmon14 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm

But on San Fransisco's last checkpoint race "panoz pressure" the opponent cars drive trough the parkhouse that leads to the motorway, but traffic cars can't, or won't drive that road.
You mean bus terminal? If yes, there is BAI, but propably some BAI settings of intersection or this road don't let traffic go there

And in the San Fransisco checkpoint race number 3? There the opponent cars drive trough the grass area without any problem. :wassat:

Cop cars can follow you everywhere, if your track has BAI.

And I think they go throught grass in Race 3, because they use shorcut, because following there roads around grass takes more time

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:00 pm

About the corners discussion of the curved roads, check better the image and description: pratically it says that the square shaped polygon connected to the points A, B, C and D, must have 90 degress angles, so it has to be a perfect rectangle. So, every curved road must start or must have one rectangular shaped part in the whole ROAD_ object, as Silent1Unknown says too.
Maybe this thing doesn't regard the curved ROADS_ objects, the ones for the roads with traffic and sidewalks, maybe because the crossing part (object called CWx_) of the intersection where's connected the curved road is indeed already rectangular...
Don't take the game default cities as example, because they're completely different from the cities that you can create with MM2 City Toolkit. I said that the ROAD_ object, called so for the MM2 City Toolkit city generating, maybe gets as normal block in the PSDL terrain, they don't get as real road parts like for the ROADS_ objects.
The game cities always use BAI also for the roads where there's no traffic and only pedestrians. With this, is normal that the opponent cars can drive through them, using the intersections are reference points. As Sajmon says, there should be a setting on the .bai file that allows to don't have traffic there; unfortunately this file can't be edited experiencing such changes, it can be only viewed. Just try to open SF and London in MM2 City Toolkit, you'll see the BAI lanes setting always on every kind of PSDL terrain road part.
And in the San Fransisco checkpoint race number 3? There the opponent cars drive trough the grass area without any problem.

I said also this, the cop cars (and so also the opponent cars, both managed through the BAI) can drive away from the roads and intersections until a certain distance; if they gets farer, the car stops from following you, this in the case of cop cars.
Maybe they're really able to follow you everywhere on the city, as Sajmon says, but sometimes happens that the cop cars stop from following you driving, for example, on those large areas around SF. If you're going faster than the cop cars they stop from following you too.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|