Windows 8 does not support mm2.

Lagging occurs when mm2 is started.

Blaster
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Windows 8 does not support mm2.

Postby Blaster » Sat May 04, 2013 1:57 am

I just got a windows 8 and immediately installed mm2. when I started it, it lagged as if there was no graphics card. I almost had this fixed, but I think it needs a patch for windows 8. I think the problem is that it does not support older directx games. If you were wondering, I did try the intel patch, but that didn't work either (it said it couldn't find the intel patch file). I even tried the xp patch, and I got the same problem. it would be helpful if someone could make a patch.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:20 am

This issue has been recently discussed. It's kinda normal that with new operative systems will be difficult get to work properly or at all old games. About MM2 on Windows 8, it fortunately runs, but with a bad lag that makes it almost impossible to play. Unfortunately seems that there's no workaround made to fix this, so far.
The Intel (and Nvidia too) graphic chipsets patch and the Windows XP compatibility patch are the same file, available here. It's suggested to use the Speed Boot, an edited Midtown2.exe file made to have the game run suddenly after have launched it, another issue that can happen, get it here; it works also as no-CD crack.
A good way to be able to play MM2 on Windows 8 without get lag it's this, but it's not applicable to everyone, and can also get a bit annoying have to run the virtual machine everytime you want to play MM2.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Blaster
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Blaster » Sun May 05, 2013 1:43 am

This issue has been recently discussed. It's kinda normal that with new operative systems will be difficult get to work properly or at all old games. About MM2 on Windows 8, it fortunately runs, but with a bad lag that makes it almost impossible to play. Unfortunately seems that there's no workaround made to fix this, so far.
The Intel (and Nvidia too) graphic chipsets patch and the Windows XP compatibility patch are the same file, available here. It's suggested to use the Speed Boot, an edited Midtown2.exe file made to have the game run suddenly after have launched it, another issue that can happen, get it here; it works also as no-CD crack.
A good way to be able to play MM2 on Windows 8 without get lag it's this, but it's not applicable to everyone, and can also get a bit annoying have to run the virtual machine everytime you want to play MM2.
I tried the speedboot, and it didn't work

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:02 am

I know that it hadn't to work, but I haven't said to use it as the solution for the lags of playing MM2 on Windows 8. I've just said that's suggested use it anyway, it's always better. A solution to play MM2 without lag on Windows 8 it's explained in the tutorial linked in my above post, that's essentially play it on an emulated machine with Windows 7. There isn't other solution at the moment.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

RYANST
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Postby RYANST » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:02 am

in answer to EVERY SINGLE PERSON who says "mm2 dosent run on windows 8, the truth is it acctually does, cuz i found a way, so theres no point in saying, "it dosent, sorry, theres no workaround" and i have decided NOT to share it, win 8 isnt too bad an OS, i find it pretty cool, just wanted to let every1 know, thanks for viewing, also yes you are right, opening VM just to play 1 game is pointless, thats why there are other OS'ES out there, use 1 that surports all your games, noone needs the latest technology, heck, theres people out there still using MS-DOS!

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Postby aaro4130 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:50 am

Force disabling Desktop Window Manager will stop lag in Midtown Madness 2 according to many
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

fastback428
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Re: Windows 8 does not support mm2.

Postby fastback428 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey, sorry to bring up a few month old topic, but I had to share a solution to fix MM2 in Windows 8.1. All one has to do is place some application extension files into his or her game directory. I had the same lag problem, but it was instantly fixed with this solution. However, every once in a while some random black polygons appear, but that might just be MM2. There was as nice video on Youtube, but it went private. If you want to give it a shot, I put in the .dll files from WineD3D 1.3.22 and it works well for me. I can post a mediafire link to the files if requested and if I am permitted. Cheers!
[img][/img]

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Postby whoami » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:36 am

Hey, sorry to bring up a few month old topic, but I had to share a solution to fix MM2 in Windows 8.1. All one has to do is place some application extension files into his or her game directory. I had the same lag problem, but it was instantly fixed with this solution. However, every once in a while some random black polygons appear, but that might just be MM2. There was as nice video on Youtube, but it went private. If you want to give it a shot, I put in the .dll files from WineD3D 1.3.22 and it works well for me. I can post a mediafire link to the files if requested and if I am permitted. Cheers!
I'd love that, if you can upload those. :)
[color=white]Nobody told me MM2 works on Windows 10![/color]

fastback428
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby fastback428 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Sure, no trouble for me other than learning how to post links :D. I use a download manager, so I have the link still from where I downloaded it at. The folder contains many different versions. Like I said above, I found version 1.3.22 to work well on my Windows 8.1 machine, but experiment around and see what works best for you.
https://www.mediafire.com/download/l8e4m ... erent.zip/
[img][/img]

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby whoami » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Okay, so I tried it. You just paste the contents of one of the folders in the archive into the MM2 folder, right? That's what I understood (and did).

Results on my laptop (Windows 8.1):

1.1.38 - 1.3.31: Your machine does not have a display adapter that meets the minimum requirements for running Midtown Madness 2.

1.3.31 - 1.4.1: The procedure entry point wined3d_surface_bltfast could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Midtown Madness 2\DDRAW.DLL. (Then it tells me DX7 is needed to run)

1.6rc4: It gets stuck on a black screen.

fastback428
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby fastback428 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:50 am

Interesting. You are correct. All you have to do is paste the contents of the folder into the program directory. It appears that 1.6rc4 does not work on my machine either, but 1.3.22 works fine. Are you running the mm2 application as administrator? I tried not running as admin on 1.3.22, and the "Yikes' message would continuously open instead of launching the game. Although, I doubt that will fix the issue. I have seen a message similar to yours about the display adapter when I was trying to play a different game inside of a Virtual Box operating system. Are you running it in Virtual box?
[img][/img]

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:59 am

Are you running it in Virtual box?
Um... no, not really. It's a dual boot between Windows 7 and 8.1 - I was trying it out on 8.1. 7 works okay, no lag.

fastback428
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby fastback428 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Maybe a graphic driver issue or graphic settings? Not sure. Never had that come up before with MM2. Might be worth a shot to try and run the game in safe mode to change some settings. Don't have any experience with dual boots because I never had a free partition on my HDD. If all else fails, at least it works fine in Windows 7.
[img][/img]

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby whoami » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 pm

If all else fails, at least it works fine in Windows 7.
True, that.

Safe Mode works same - in all versions. No difference.