MM1 Revisited

:!: V3 finally released!

Toty
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Toty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:49 am

I found a bug. The game crashes if you try to play with snow (the time of day doesn't matter) and speed loading. It's not a big deal but I need speed loading for a top-secret project that I'm doing :)

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby dummiesboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 am

Hmm.. I have no idea what would cause that. I'll have to look into it.

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Postby whoami » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 am

What's speed-loading?
[color=white]Nobody told me MM2 works on Windows 10![/color]

Toty
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Toty » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:19 pm

What's speed-loading?
This is from MM1's FAQ:
Turning on the Speed Loading option in Graphics Options (Options menu) may make the game run faster on your computer. With Speed Loading turned on, the game will wait to load new textures and geometry until you actually encounter them. The downside to turning on Speed Loading is that Midtown Madness may pause occasionally during gameplay. If that is the case, turn off Speed Loading.

Usetheforce
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Usetheforce » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 am

I've been playing MM1 with your revisited mod and at 1920x1080 resolution on my TV. Yes, that's a crazy setup, but WOW! It looks surprisingly good for such an old game. Anyway...

I like the look of your snowy roads, and I agree with you saying the snowy pixels are starting to look a little... Er, dated. I'd like to see screenshots with the snowy pixels removed. I think that'll look nicer.

There are also a few things and vanilla MM1 fixes I can suggest for the next version of MM1 Revisited:

The taillights for the Panoz Roadster have an odd rectangle around them.

Some damage textures are inconsistent throughout the different colors, such as the Ford Mustang Fastback, and Panoz Roadster.

You could add the beta colors for the Panoz Roadster and the Freightliner Century. In the VW Demo version of MM1, there are beta billboard props placed around the city that didn't make the final game. You could add the beta monster truck in the game like how you packed the Red Rocket with the MM1 Revisited download.

I also don't really like the sky for the clear night. It looks a little too bright, dithered and low color. I believe MM1 is a 16 bit game, so maybe that can't really be helped.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:34 am

Thanks for the feedback man, I appreciate it. Naturally, as with every single project I've done... basically ever, I'm bored of the game and taking a break from it. :P However, also as always, I'll probably get back into it again soon.

I'll consider removing the pixels. As I said before though, some people in the remaining MM1 community may not like that. However, I'll still give it a shot.

And could you show me a shot or two of the tail light and damage texture issues? I've never noticed them.

I've also tried doing all of those things you mentioned, the colors, billboards, and Monster Truck... for some reason, the extra colors don't work well with the game. In the selection menu, it shows the color before it, and in game, it just crashes. I did everything right that I know of, which includes adding textures (derp), adding the textures into the dlp file and info file, and all that. The billboards just flat out don't show up, not sure why. And the physics engine in MM1 simply doesn't allow a vehicle like the Monster Truck to handle well, I've tried alot of things to improve it, but none worked.

And about the sky, that's one of the things on my list to fix. I agree, it could be better.

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Diatosta » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Well, Dummiesboy you could make the pixels removing a separate patch, as you did in MM2 revisited. That way, everyone could enjoy the mod ;)
[color=white]MM2 lover! Yeah![/color]
[color=white]diatosta.pt[/color]

[color=white]Also, gotta love when people don't publicize their work or ask for support in their signatures. Also don't forget to check my unfinished mods and donate to my Paypal

Also, one of my trucks[/color]
[img][/img]

Usetheforce
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Usetheforce » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 am

And could you show me a shot or two of the tail light and damage texture issues? I've never noticed them.
Panoz taillight rectangles. It's most noticeable on the blue paintjob, but it's visible on all of the paintjobs.

The damaged side window on the Fastback, the damaged rear window on the Panoz Roadster, and the damaged headlights on the Volkswagen Beetle are different depending on your car color.

The new Ford Mustang's damaged windshield seems to change through each color, and worst of all, the Cadillac Eldorado's damaged rear end textures are all over the place! The trunk in particular.

Toty
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Toty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:37 am

... I did everything right that I know of, which includes adding textures (derp), adding the textures into the dlp file and info file...
DLP file? To add colors you have to modify the tsh file, that's what I do.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:57 am

Hell, I meant TSH. My bad.

Also, thanks for the shot, Usetheforce. That's because the texture for the tail lights are different than the rest of the back. I could attempt to fix it, although it may be difficult.
And about the damage... what's bad about it? Just means that there's more variety. :wink:

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Don't worry, this mod isn't dead. In fact, I've been working on it for the past few days, improving the look of snowy weather and doing other small fixes. I also broke the mod up into multiple AR files in a manor similar to MM2 Revisited V5, mostly out of popular demand. I also plan to finally figure out a way to get the beta (and maybe some more) colors onto default cars. I also have a list at home of other brainstorming things that came into my mind over the past few months, for example, possibly fixing some bound issues, fixing visibility issues with Wrigly Field, etc. I'll post some pictures of the new snowy look soon, when it's finished. This version of the mod is most likely going to be V3.

And about MM2 Revisited 5.1, I havn't forgotten about it. News will come for that mod if Instant Replay makes any progress.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that I removed the snow pixles from every texture. It does look better, and just about everyone agrees.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 17 years
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:08 pm

Sounds good, have a nice work with the mod. Very good update for the snow pixels removing, it had to look better. If you succeed to get what you plan to do this new release can well be called V3.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 am

I just found out what causes the crash with snow and speed loading.. apparently with speed loading selected, the game also loads some TEXP textures, textures I previously thought were only used in software rendering. I added in new textures for snow (and rain), and if the game is missing any textures that are listed in the TSH file, the game will crash. So it looks like I'm going to need to officially add support for software rendering too, to fix this issue. Might be a long process...

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:17 am

Well I added support for Software Rendering. So if you can't get Hardware (or are just crazy enough to like Software more :P ), then you can now have some of the graphical benefits of Revisited. Thanks to Toty for telling me how to make TEXP textures. :)

Unfortunately, snow still crashes the game in Software or with Speed Loading. I honestly have no clue what causes this, but I do remember the issue happening in the first release of the mod. So if I could get my hands on that version of the mod again, it might be easier to track down the issue. It's related to textures in some way, specifically one of my own snow textures. Does anyone still have that version of the mod? I don't have it anymore.

On a high note though, look what I finally managed to accomplish, again thanks to Toty. :)

I'm finally able to add colors to default cars, which means that colors from default MM2, RV5, and maybe even some recreations of showcase colors will be in MM1 Revisited V3.

Toty
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Toty » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 am