MM2 Source code effects

Something about MM2 No error message patch and lot of more..

Kluvo2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

MM2 Source code effects

Postby Kluvo2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi guys,
I've been working with MM2 source code a bit and I found an interesting part of code. There is name of file, which starts , when there is MM2.lock file in directory with game. I've changed it to midtown2.exe to make patch, which disables opening of Trouble.rtf and starts midtown2.exe, so you don't have to delete MM2.lock or use lockkiller. I've submitted this patch to downloads, so I hope, that it'll be posted in downloads tommorow :)
I've also found, that you are able to change format of files, that are loaded with game (.ar). That opens doors for something like MM2X game, version with most of good mods for MM2 :) I've made something like this, but I can't publish it, because most of cars are made by someone else ;) That's because I'm too impatient for modeling, so I just use non-locked archives with cars :D
The thing is, that it would be nice, if we've made a version of midtown madness 2, which will be free to get (as I know, MM2 is now abandonware) and I had also an idea of launcher, where you'll be also able to download new cars from something like eshop, which will be uploaded on some server (I've one, but the upload speed is slow (64kb/s) :/) and you will be able to download them to game on start. Today I've started working on that launcher, but I'm kind a newbie in programing, but father is programmer and he promised me to help with it :)
I'm back after a long time, but I don't want to let this project end up, like me older projects (Skin mod, Old skin mod, Nitra city, Roman city). :)
Hope you will like that idea ;)
PS: Sorry for my english, I'm Slovak :)

hastantyo
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Postby hastantyo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Sounds interesting ... :) Good luck then, waiting for another news. :)

HummersRock
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 17 years 4 months

Postby HummersRock » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 pm

Improving the performance of MM2 would be great.
[url=https://bit.ly/znpgtp][color=deepskyblue]My MM2 Creations[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/o9c3][color=red]My MM2 Youtube[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/yfqjeq][color=green]My DeviantArt[/color][/url]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Good for these researches in the Midtown2.exe file, to be precise, is too much call all this source code.
I've checked what you've submitted, not bad have an edited game executable file to ignore the mm2.lock file (as far as I remember Azbestos8 already did this), but since long time there are already some alternatives, from the adding of the " -nolock" command at the end of the link path to the game executable, to the using of the very good MM2 Game Loader program. Is also enough delete the Trouble.rtf file and give Ok to that file missing message error and launch again the game everytime that the game crashes and the mm2.lock file gets created.
About the changing of used file type, Azbestos8 already did this changing it to .zip file format, useful only for who makes mods and add-ons to the game to test them, and to other custom file formats that he was using for his Madness Mashup project. However, there's no valid point of changing it, always a zipped archive must be used for game add-ons and mods, have it in a different file extension than .ar one doesn't get advantages, indeed.
Very bad idea the add-ons and mods downloader, I see only disadvantages in it. The downloading speed needs to be enough fast for all, it needs to be constantly updated with the new releases to be valid, and especially, it's against the rights of who makes the releases because you don't download them as the authors released them, with Readme and other files included. Is enough check a website like this for the new published files, download the ones that you want and easily put them in-game, something that in MM2 modding is fast. Better throw away this idea...

The great goal in re-programming the game is to remove or at least enlarge the game memory using, or what else it is, about the reading of cars add-ons and total polygons managing. Unfortunately, I doubt that this is possible having only the game files as material, is needed the native game source code, that's not available.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Postby aaro4130 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Native source code was attempted to be decompiled into, it failed though. And I have made lock deleters and stuff, i am a great programmer. Also, about the file format, DO NOT USE ZIP! I asked Azbestos to do it, and it deleted my addons.
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Poland

Postby sajmon14 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:43 pm

I think Robin made some program that allows us to download cars to the game, its somewere on MMarchive. Keep up with your mods and editing the exe :)