How do I get PSDL Viewer to run in Windows 10 2004 64-bit?

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

How do I get PSDL Viewer to run in Windows 10 2004 64-bit?

Postby cody » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:17 am

PSDL Viewer can't find Java 3D, even though all dependencies (both correct JDK and correct Java 3D versions) are installed. I'm on Windows 10 2004 64-bit. I installed the JDK, then installed Java3D (both 32-bit and 64-bit). That usually works, but when I run PSDL Viewer, it says "Can't find Java 3D". I put the Viewer.jar in the JDK "bin" directory, so it's in the same folder as Java.exe (this was suggested in an earlier thread that I created), created a shortcut to Java.exe, then changed the shortcut to "C:\Programs\Java\jdk1.7.0_80\bin\Java.exe -Xmx1024M -jar Viewer.jar" (without the quotes). It still couldn't find Java 3D. Why can't it find Java 3D, even though it's installed correctly? Is there something broken in the PATH variable, or is it more complex than that? I followed the instructions (given in an earlier thread) to a T, and still nothing.
My Member Number is prime. LOL!

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Re: How do I get PSDL Viewer to run in Windows 10 2004 64-bit?

Postby Franch88 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:30 pm

The procedure that you're explaining here is partially different than the one that CarLuver posted in that old topic. There he says to make a .bat file, while you've added commands to a shortcut line. If you've really tried also that procedure, maybe it could depend by the version of JDK, I've the 1.5.0_06.
I had the same problem and I've tried the CarLuver's procedure, and now PSDL Viewer works successfully. So, thanks for linking that old topic, I couldn't even realize its existance here (I hadn't that problem back in that year because I was still using my old PC)...
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

cody
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Re: How do I get PSDL Viewer to run in Windows 10 2004 64-bit?

Postby cody » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:11 pm

I just realized that I did make a .bat file. That's what the shortcut links to. The command is inside the .bat (which is in the same "bin" folder as Viewer.jar), but it still doesn't work. Here are my system specs (I got a new PC in November 2020):

Make: Acer Nitro 5
CPU: Intel Core i5-9300H (no overclocking)
RAM: 8 GB
Disk 0: 239 GB SSD
Disk 1: WD My Passport 260D USB External Drive (4.5 TB capacity)
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (integrated); NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (dedicated) w/ 3.9 GB Shared memory and 4 GB Dedicated memory;
NVIDIA Driver version: 471.41 (Game Ready Driver)

I normally use the integrated GPU chip for PSDL Viewer, as it's more than enough to run that (relatively) old Java 3D (1.3 minimum, although I use 1.5.1) that it requires. I use JDK1.7.0_80 (as can be seen in the first post), as that's the most recent version I know of that works with PSDL Viewer, and I like having a nice, stable environment for making/editing maps. I rarely, if ever, have crashes with that version.
My Member Number is prime. LOL!