White line around textures with alpha channel

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

White line around textures with alpha channel

Postby KingAndy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 pm

This uses to happen me for a long time but I used to know a trick on Paint.NET to fix it, but seems it doesn't work now. Basically, on textures with alpha channel and transparency, there's a white line arround the opaque part of it. It's very odd and look bad in game, and seems there's no way to fix it. The line is not on the texture. Does anybody knows how to fix this?
Best active member avatar
Best active member MM1 screenshot-er
Friendliest active member

Most helpful active member
Best MM2 car converter of the year
Best MM2 innovation of the year
Author of the best MM2 mod of the year
Best active user's self amatory site

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:39 pm

I suggest to use GIMP or another similar free program to get a better managing of the color and alpha channels. I don't see Paint.Net good to work with games textures and the TGA format.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby aaro4130 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:59 am

"with games and the TGA format"

Paint.NET writes proper TGA files that match perfectly to the TGA specification.
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:55 pm

I didn't meant that Paint.Net is bad in saving in TGA format. From my little experience with that program, I suddenly noticed that isn't possible to view and edit the color and alpha channels separately, this last very important for games textures making. That's what I meant.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Postby KingAndy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:21 pm

Thanks for the answers. I downloaded and tryed GIMP (which I tryed before, back to my first days here when I began learning about image editing). The editable alpha channel is surely an advantage there, however even on that software I couldn't fix the issue because technically the alpha channel is working properly.

After some search on the Web I found that in some games, when textures using transparency are stretched on the objects, the alpha channel may not be presented properly and it's visible part of the pixels alpha channel was covering (white) and the way to "fix" this would be changing the color of the pixels covered by the alpha channel to the same of the rest of the texture, so the white lime I'm game would be unnoticeable. But, maybe because of my lack of knowledge about GIMP, I couldn't do so.

Anyways, I found a plugin for Paint.NET that could cover up most of it, AA's Assistant.
Best active member avatar
Best active member MM1 screenshot-er
Friendliest active member

Most helpful active member
Best MM2 car converter of the year
Best MM2 innovation of the year
Author of the best MM2 mod of the year
Best active user's self amatory site

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Postby BIGzee » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Used to get the same around my shadows. I simply painted the entire RGB diffuse black. Did the job. Used CS5.
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.