KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Postby KingAndy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:27 pm

I don't understand why nowadays I see people who don't waste one or two more days to create a dashboard for their car convertions. It's not that hard to create and the 1st person view is on of the coolest things in a racing game. Addon cars just to take screenshots are not really cool to play, right... :roll:
Best active member avatar
Best active member MM1 screenshot-er
Friendliest active member

Most helpful active member
Best MM2 car converter of the year
Best MM2 innovation of the year
Author of the best MM2 mod of the year
Best active user's self amatory site

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Postby zoot » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:50 pm

People just don't have the time or interest anymore.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Postby dummiesboy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:14 pm

It's 2015, the community no longer has the spirit it used to. Generic supercars with copy/paste tuning and sounds is about as good as it will get for the most part, and anyone who still plays MM2 is lucky to have even those.

See if you can find some old websites with relics from over 10 years ago. They used to make some very creative cars and tracks back in those days. When I was younger, MM2 was also a game about flying airplanes around an alien invaded SF, or driving robots over ramps in one of the many stunt versions of city.psdl. They may not have been of the same level of quality as the best addons we have today, but there's an undenyable sense of pride and effort in some of them.

I actually still have every one of the things I used to have somewhere on my PC, and sometimes go back and play them again for the sheer nostalgia factor.

StanOfGB
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Postby StanOfGB » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Speaking as one of those modders who don't make dashboards, I don't make them because I think they're pretty useless in this game. Even dashboards of the highest quality, which are based on pictures of the actual 3D interior, end up looking 2D with bad resolution. You may as well make a cardboard cutout of a dashboard and fixate it to your screen, because that's essentially what dashboards are in this game.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Postby dummiesboy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:33 pm

You speak as if the rest of the game doesn't look that way. :P

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Postby zoot » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 pm

PSDL boxes. Yup.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Make dashboards isn't that much easy as it may look for some. There's a good tutorial available which should bring people into it, but evidently in few really care about dashboards. The harder part in its making steps there can well be from the beginning, with finding a proper photo or high quality 3D interiors from where make the textures.
Then, it's not worth and good provide and invented dashboard to a real existing car which has its own dashboard.
It's 2015, the community no longer has the spirit it used to. Generic supercars with copy/paste tuning and sounds is about as good as it will get for the most part, and anyone who still plays MM2 is lucky to have even those.
That spirit is getting lost since 2012, after great years like 2009 and 2010 with a general boost of interest in make, download and play add-on cars.
Let's say that all these cars conversions still released in the latest years, with or without a dashboard, are a good way to keep alive the community and have some activity due to the people that at least follow and check the website for the new releases. It kinda works, also considering those who gives indirect proofs of this by submitting screenshots showing the newest released downloads.
Even dashboards of the highest quality, which are based on pictures of the actual 3D interior, end up looking 2D with bad resolution.
In MM1 and MM2 dashboards always work in 2D, also those very few ones that use 3D models. The quality issue is mainly caused by the game graphic in 16 bit color and by the presence of the alpha channel, which always decreases the texture look creating a sort of posterize effect.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

BUGATTIMAN253MPH
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Ireland

Postby BUGATTIMAN253MPH » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:36 am

I don't make dashes because I'm so bad at photoshopping photoreal dashes, I usually find 3-D model dashes turn out terrible, with 16-bit color on top of that it looks crap in game, I don't use anti-aliasing with the 3-D dashes so the edges look all jagged in the game, when I used an anti-alias plugin in Paint.NET it didn't look any better.

I honestly go with Stan's suggestion that dashes always turn out badly in the game and obstruct most of your view.
Best Midtown Madness 2 car converter of the year
Author of the best Midtown Madness 2 car add-on of the year
Best active member Midtown Madness 1 screenshot-er

Best Midtown Madness 2 breakout of the year
Funniest active member

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Postby FXANBSS » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:46 am

Use the default dashboards, they are pretty good. :)

I normally use the GT and the Fastback dashboards.

BUGATTIMAN253MPH
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Ireland

Postby BUGATTIMAN253MPH » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:53 am

The dashes from GT2 Racing are good to use because the textures for the dash model are photo-real, that's how I made the dash for my Aventador.

Funniest active member

COOLGUY200
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby COOLGUY200 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:21 am

There is a NFS High Stakes Hot Pursuit Corvette with the original 3D interior. That would be cool if we made 3D dashboards...

I saw a 1969 Dodge Charger with the vpbullitt dash, but redesigned differently. Tell me, would it make more sense to make a new dash based on the height of the old dashes, or tweak it so that the dash look a little like the real thing?

Mustang

Charger

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Postby Midtown2 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:12 am

I would but I have tons of problems... My computer won't worn with half the programs and when it does the dash gets all messed up. So yeah I have an excuse :)

BUGATTIMAN253MPH
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Ireland

Postby BUGATTIMAN253MPH » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 am

I don't make dashboards anymore because they always look bad in MM2 because of the 16-bit colour format. Only the photo-real dashes look good because they have tons of shading on them.

Funniest active member

COOLGUY200
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby COOLGUY200 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:33 am

This really stinks. If anyone remembers NFS High Stales, the game had 3D dashboards. Taxi-Man or someone converted a whole corvette police car- yes- including the front half of the dash. It looked really great.

I'll see if I can make a dash tho- wonder how hard can it be?

The charger looks easy, tons of pics with repo and nos parts.