What are the limitations of the Midtown Madness 2 game engine?

Modding it

Zac
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 10 years 2 months

What are the limitations of the Midtown Madness 2 game engine?

Postby Zac » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:12 am

Is it possible to mod in new features??

Can I mod in a new career similar to London Cabbie?

How much can you Mod police AI? Can you mod them to want to continue chasing you and destroy your car?

Can you remodel the whole SF city to high poly?

Can you Mod in more races? On Custom tracks?

Can you add features to cars? Such as adjustable air ride suspension?

Can you mod so you can use turn signals?

Turn lights on and off?

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Re: What are the limitations of the Midtown Madness 2 game engine?

Postby Franch88 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:32 pm

In the latest years, have been done lot of improvements to the game engine and against its limitations due to a project called MM2 Hook, which is constantly in developing. Some of them answer some of your questions.
Can I mod in a new career similar to London Cabbie?
I assume you mean the Crash Course events, and I also assume that's still not possible or very hard to do, otherwise, we would have already got mods for them...
How much can you Mod police AI? Can you mod them to want to continue chasing you and destroy your car?
That's most likely not possible, but MM2 Hook allows to let them chase the player vehicle only when exceeding a certain speed, which is also adjustable in the included settings file.
This other release allows to set more thsn 3 police AI vehicles to chase the player vehicle, but that would give a certain instability to the game...
Can you remodel the whole SF city to high poly?
The game engine for the cities about the PSDL doesn't allow that. In theory it's possible, but that would take lot of time and an upheaval of the cities working, giving a bad lag too. But then, what's the real purpose in an old game where you only drive vehicles?
Can you Mod in more races? On Custom tracks?
This has been already done since many years, it's obviously possible make new races, for the default cities (also if it's better make a copy of them with the new races, as already done by a mod) and to add-on ones. The procedure isn't so easy, though.
Can you add features to cars? Such as adjustable air ride suspension?
Maybe this could be implemented, but sounds hard, actually...
Can you mod so you can use turn signals?

Turn lights on and off?
These things are now possible due to MM2 Hook, but you need to add the signal lights objects in the add-on car. Some of the recently published ones have them.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Zac
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Zac » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 am

Thanks Franch88!

Where do you find information on mm2 hook and its features??

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:14 pm

I remember that there's a list of some of the things that it does to the game, but it's pretty outdated and so not complete. Anyway, from the included mm2hook.ini file, needed to enable and disable various features, as well as change other settings, you can read and know a lot of the things that it does to the game.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Zac
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Zac » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:59 am

Maybe there is a different game engine I should look for that has all the features i'm looking for, do you know of any??