What do I need to make a mod?

It_Is_Me
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 11 years

What do I need to make a mod?

Postby It_Is_Me » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Excuse any incompetence on my behalf, but I was wondering exactly what programs you need to create a mod for a vehicle in MM2? I have a little (probably stupid) idea and would like to see what I can do. Also, how hard and how many hours would be expected to take to create something and make it work? I guess there may be something already on the site answering this, but, well, couldn't find much in my (short) time looking.
Thanks!
[color=gray]It is me[/color]
[color=red]THE CLASSIC MINI FAN![/color]

RohitXL5
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 6 months

Postby RohitXL5 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:51 pm

The time depends on what type of mod are you going to make. For example of revisited v5 was a huge project and it took many time to make it and in other way round example as my simple mod of opponents car sounds mod, it took just 2 minutes to make it after I knew how to do it.

By the way, what type of mod you want to make? Some type of mod have tools/programs to make them and some modifications doesn't requires it. For example of making a car, you need zmodeler to make it. In other example like if you want to tweak a car so you don't need any tool to make it faster or slower. You just have to modify the files which is simple. It was all which I knew related knowledge to this topic.
[img][/img]

[color=#01B5DD][size=150]Boss of Martians![/size][/color]

[img][/img] [color=yellow]Best Active Member MM1 screenshot-er | Best MM2 breakout of the year[/color]
[img][/img] [color=yellow]Author of the best mod of the year[/color]

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Postby e-cobra » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 pm

To make a mod (modification) to an existing vehicle or to make a new vehicle from scratch? To make your own vehicles, you need Zmodeler v1.07b to make the 3D model. You'll also need Paint.NET or any other software capable of editing .tga format for editing/making textures for a vehicle. Apart from these two programs, other programs needed are notepad (to edit tuning, etc) and WinZip to make an .ar file. About making a vehicle from scratch, a detailed tutorial is available here. :wink:

Time taken to make a vehicle could be anything like from 3 hours to 3 months, depending on how much detailed you want to make it. :wink:
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

It_Is_Me
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby It_Is_Me » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

EDIT: I checked out that tutorial page, but got a bit lost towards the end of page 2 (as it didn't seem to work in the ZModeler software) and page 3 (as the pictures didn't seem to load)

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Your request about how make a mod for MM2 wasn't so clear, seemed that you wanted to mod (meant as edit) a MM2 vehicle. The linked tutorial is very good, but some images of it are now dead, so download the PDF version with the example car files included from here. Give also a check to the version 2 of his cars modeling and MM2 converting tutorial with videos at Silent1Unknown's website here.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

It_Is_Me
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby It_Is_Me » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks again for the help! I don't really know phrases on this site (mah incompetence :lol:). Basically, I would like to learn how to create from nothing and/or adapt cars (probably easier so that is where I will try to start).

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Postby e-cobra » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm

For creating from nothing, Silent1Unknown's tutorial is the best (IMO). For adapting (converting) cars from some other game, the challenges are to successfully get the 3D model into Zmodeler, then also find its textures (from the same game) and just assign them to respective materials. Then re-name all objects to the object names used in MM2. Then you'd have to tune it properly so that its handling is as expected, and a few more finishing tweaks and you've done. :wink:
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

It_Is_Me
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby It_Is_Me » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Another question (sorry), what is the easiest thing to make/adapt? Cars? Maps?
For creating from nothing, Silent1Unknown's tutorial is the best (IMO). For adapting (converting) cars from some other game, the challenges are to successfully get the 3D model into Zmodeler, then also find its textures (from the same game) and just assign them to respective materials. Then re-name all objects to the object names used in MM2. Then you'd have to tune it properly so that its handling is as expected, and a few more finishing tweaks and you've done. :wink:
Thanks, btw :)

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Diatosta » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:49 pm

I think cars, as maps aren't easier to make, I think.
[color=white]MM2 lover! Yeah![/color]
[color=white]diatosta.pt[/color]

[color=white]Also, gotta love when people don't publicize their work or ask for support in their signatures. Also don't forget to check my unfinished mods and donate to my Paypal

Also, one of my trucks[/color]
[img][/img]