How do you add new paintjobs for default cars?

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 11 years
United States of America

How do you add new paintjobs for default cars?

Postby TONY9 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 am

I want to know how you're supposed to add new paintjobs for default cars without replacing one of the original paintjobs. I have the textures done but I can't seem to put them in the game. The game crashes whenever i try to select the paintjob ingame.

BUGATTIMAN253MPH
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Ireland

Postby BUGATTIMAN253MPH » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:38 pm

It's a process that involves re-exporting the model through Zmodeler to have support for the additional colors. When you export the .pkg a dialogue box appears to add multiple colors to the car. You need to write the first color into the Replace Suffix box e.g. if my car was the Mustang GT, type yellow (remove the underscore). Then you need to type the name of the next color in the With Suffix text box. In the case of the Mustang GT, type green then click the add to list button. Do this for the rest of the colors, white, red, then your new color.

There will be some things you will need to fix using MM2 City Toolkit, such as shine on the bottom of the car.
Best Midtown Madness 2 car converter of the year
Author of the best Midtown Madness 2 car add-on of the year
Best active member Midtown Madness 1 screenshot-er

Best active member avatar
Best Midtown Madness 2 breakout of the year
Funniest active member

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:24 pm

One question though, how do you re-export .pkg files in Zmodeler?

BUGATTIMAN253MPH
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Ireland

Postby BUGATTIMAN253MPH » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Zmodeler 1.07b can import and export .pkg.

Use deAR2 to decompile the car's .pkg, .mtx files and BOUND from mm2core.ar and the textures from mm2tex.ar. Then import using Zmodeler 1.07b. You will need to convert .tex files into .tga using Maxoff's texmanager so that they work in Zmodeler.
Author of the best Midtown Madness 2 car add-on of the year
Best active member Midtown Madness 1 screenshot-er

Best active member avatar
Best Midtown Madness 2 breakout of the year
Funniest active member

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Will I have to convert the files back to .tex files once I'm finished?

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:18 pm

Well I exported the .pkg file in Zmodeler and listed all the colors based on the names of the texture files. However, when I try to load the game, the game crashes even before getting to the main menu screen.

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Poland

Postby sajmon14 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:50 pm

You just have to convert the textures to format other than tex so Zmodeler can read them (there was some Tex filter for ZModeler but I dont know where to get it). There is no need to convert them back to other format because your vehicle will use original texture files anyway, plus the game doesn't care what format the texture is. It's just recognizing the names of textures ;) What car are you editing?

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:36 am

I'm trying to add a new paintjob for the Panoz GTR-1. Also it a problem that the textures for the paintjob are upside down?

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Postby FXANBSS » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:24 am

Change them to .tex files, .tga files are just drunk.

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:12 am

I listed all the paintjobs based on the names of the texture files themselves with an underscore at the beginning and added the new paintjob at the end. After that I click export and compile all the files into an .ar file and try to load up the game. However, the game refuses to load which the problem I'm having now.

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:52 pm

Hey guys, it's been quite awhile hasn't it? Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is I managed to get the custom paintjobs in the game by replacing existing paintjobs. The bad news is I can't seem to create separate paintjobs in Zmodeler. Whenever I click export the file appears but the size of it turns into 1 KB.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Postby dummiesboy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:20 am

Hey guys, it's been quite awhile hasn't it? Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is I managed to get the custom paintjobs in the game by replacing existing paintjobs. The bad news is I can't seem to create separate paintjobs in Zmodeler. Whenever I click export the file appears but the size of it turns into 1 KB.
Sounds like typical Zmodeler to me. Use aaro4130's blender plugin to do it, much less headache that way. All you need to do is import it, specify the paintjobs in the export screen, and export it. No need for all the extra BS that Zmodeler requires.

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Sounds like typical Zmodeler to me. Use aaro4130's blender plugin to do it, much less headache that way. All you need to do is import it, specify the paintjobs in the export screen, and export it. No need for all the extra BS that Zmodeler requires.
Well I tried Aaron's Blender .pkg filter and while it worked much better than Zmodeler, I ran into a couple of problems. The first one being is now all the colors are one color. No matter what color I pick, the color will always be the first color. Another problem is the wheels are now greyish as supposed to being just black.

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby aaro4130 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:06 am

I should probably release an update addressing the wrong colors thing (e.g. wheels).
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

TONY9
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
United States of America

Postby TONY9 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:58 pm

I should probably release an update addressing the wrong colors thing (e.g. wheels).
What about the paintjob issue I'm having as well? What could that be?