game wont work when I have mods

scarface
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

game wont work when I have mods

Postby scarface » Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 am

so I got some mods for midtown madness 2 and I extracted them into the games folder. when I start up the game everything works fine until I pick the mod. once I pick the mod, the game freezes and turns off. help

Jeremiahjobling
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Great Britain

Postby Jeremiahjobling » Wed May 23, 2018 1:34 pm

You may have too many .ar files in your MM2 folder. Remove some of them until you have about two or three left in.
Dubai = Supercarland

When it comes to normal street driving, any car is as good as good as any other. Only the racetrack can truly separate the cars' abilities.

--

In my opinion, BlameTruth is the Jeremy Clarkson of gamers and gameplay video commentators on the internet. You can follow him on Twitter here

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 pm

For mods, probably you're talking about add-on vehicles, in the specific. You get a game crash in the vehicle selection menu when you pick one of the new added vehicles. You shouldn't add too much of them, is suggested to don't exceed a number of 15-20.
Anyway, using this patcher for the Heap Overrun error, this limit has been a lot increased, so my final suggestion is to use it.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

carfan1061
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Postby carfan1061 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 pm

I know people might be sick of me saying this, but...

In my experience, every time you start the game close it, put cars/mods/tracks in, start
it and repeat, the game builds cache. I believe it is such actions that cause the game to
be more prone to crashing(even with the heap patch).

The way I deal with this, is to re-install the game.
If that doesn't work, delete the game folder.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:23 am

That's just exaggerated, I've never got to even uninstall and install the game because of that... The game doesn't build any cache; this feature is more common to see in modern games, instead. The game just reads the .ar files that there are in its main folder while its first loading each time you run it, that's it.
The only files that gets always edited by the game everytime you run it are those of the player profile, used also to memorize the name of the last used vehicle, for example. Have you ever found files traces about this cache built by the game? Stop to say that, please...
Then, in this case, looks like this has been the first time for him to install vehicles add-ons in the game, and apparently the problem is that he has just put too much of them... The game crashes at the vehicle selection menu are typical of the problem with too much cars add-on .ar files installed.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby aaro4130 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:24 am

There is only one function in the entire game which has "cache" in the name, and it's not related to mod loading.
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]