DirectX 7 issue?

MM2 keeps giving me an error

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

DirectX 7 issue?

Postby Midtown2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:28 pm

So I finally downloaded a windows XP virtual machine for my computer, and also deleted the windows 10 patch files for MM2 from the game folder. Now, when I try to run MM2 on either the virtual machine or my windows 10 laptop, it tells me that MM2 requires DirectX 7 or above.

I have the 2010 directX installed on my virtual machine, and what's probably the newest or second newest version on my laptop (since the computer is relatively new). Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how to solve it?

Also, I don't know if this will help, but I'm running a laptop with 8GB RAM and 1GB allocated for the virtual machine, intel i5 processor and intel graphics, running windows 10 anniversary edition on the laptop and windows XP 64-bit SP2 on the virtual machine.

notbadgun
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Postby notbadgun » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:18 am

Look this https://www.mm2x.com/modules.php?name=Forum ... ght=voodoo
I have: win10x64, directx11, installed MM2 + dgVoodoo and it is work!

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:30 pm

MM2 requires the DirectX 7.0 graphic libraries, but sounds weird that it says that are required, since latest DirectX versions are retrocompatible with older ones.
If you have the game disc or its disc image, they're in the folder called DIRECTX, so, try to install them. Otherwise, download them here and install them.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby Midtown2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:21 am

So there was something wrong with my executable file; I deleted it and got a new one and the issue is gone, but it still won't work on the VM (the game crashes when I collide with anyone) and it still lags tremendously on Windows 10. NotBadGun, I tried the link in the form you attached and the link seems to be broken (I got a 403 error). Is there any way you can post the same files somewhere else to download?

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby Midtown2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:36 am

Never mind, download DGVoodoo and it worked!! You're a life saver man lol I've been trying to get this working on my laptop for a good 6 months now

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Re: DirectX 7 issue?

Postby Midtown2 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:10 am

So I’m back, with another DirectX issue. The game keeps saying the process can’t be created when trying to load System32 files (mainly for DirextX), and then says I need DirectX7 to play. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this keeps happening; it has all the administrator permissions, I have the newest directx and Visual C++ and everything. The windows 8/10 fix was also implemented and I have done all the DGVoodoo stuff. Any suggestions?

THE_DriverX
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 6 years 6 months

Postby THE_DriverX » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:43 am

This situation is unusual.... Before exploring this further, follow this guide to make sure you got the simple things taken care of: https://www.mm2x.com/modules.php?name=Fo ... pic&t=6548 . If things aren't still working right, send me (here or PM me) error messages, relevant logs, etc. And I will try to help the best I can. Take into account that Windows updates or driver update (video drivers in particular) can break proper operations of these games (even with workarounds like dgVooDoo2)... With MM1, for example, I now experience texture corruption (only with the sky for some reason  :confused2: ) due to newer driver for my R9 270x. So yah, diagnosis is sometimes difficult...

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years

Postby FXANBSS » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:28 am

That guide is almost useless if it doesn't tell you to delete gfxconf.dat.

GFX stand for graphic effects, and it is mostly unique, storing your specific graphics information.

That DirectX7 error is caused by a mismatch, so delete that file everytime, please, everytime when things go wrong, this is essentially the first thing you should look yourself deleting.

My big and HUGE respects to you, for still keeping up fixing things like this, perhaps it's your heart that can't leave this madness of game, I would feel the same way in your place  :afirmar:  oh... YES! THAT'S IT! you're named exactly like the game! Midtown2!! !  :D

If you have any other problem, ask me.. MM2's files are pretty simple to know what they do, I may teach more about them.
By the way if you wanna try GameRanger, please don't use anything newer than DgVoodoo 2.55.2
DgVoodoo 2.55.2, no more no less! Newer versions make your game abort instantly in multiplayer (GameRanger).