MM2 runs FAST in Win 8.1 and 10 now

There is a patch for the broken Directdraw function

JimvanDam
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

MM2 runs FAST in Win 8.1 and 10 now

Postby JimvanDam » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:37 pm

Windows 8.1/10's directdraw is broken, but I found some files that might help. https://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

You have to download the dgVoodoo version you want and extract the zip file (Antivirus might say it's a virus, but it isn't!). After you extracted, you will see 2 folders and some files:
3Dfx (Folder)
MS (Folder)
dgVoodooSetup.exe
Readme.txt
ReadmeDirectX.txt
ReadmeGlide.txt

Launch dgVoodooSetup.exe,
(Run dgVoodooSetup.exe as administrator if you run MM2 as administrator or if you run MM2 with XP-compatibility mode)
go to the DirectX tab and select 128 at VRAM.
Now hit apply, close gdVoodooSetup and go back to the folder with the unzipped files.

There are 2 files in the MS folder (3 IF USING 2.5 OR HIGHER):
D3Dlmm.dll
DDraw.dll
D3D8.dll (IF YOU HAVE 2.5 OR HIGHER!)

MAKE SURE THE .dll FILES ARE THERE, ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS OFTEN REMOVE THEM!!!!

Copy all the .dll files to the MM2 install directory, for me that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Midtown Madness 2.

Now launch your game, set dgvoodoo as graphics card and set your desired resolution, and the game should run fine again.

If you don't want the dgVoodoo logo in the lower right corner of your screen:
-Launch dgVoodooSetup.exe again (run dgVoodooSetup.exe as administrator if you run MM2 in XP-compatibility mode/as administrator)
-Go to the directx tab
-At the bottom, uncheck "dgVoodoo Watermark"
-Hit apply and close dgVoodooSetup.exe
-The logo is now gone while playing MM2

EVERY WINDOWS USER:
changing the power settings from "power saver" to "performance" could make a difference in fps.

WINDOWS 10 USERS:
Jet5195 and Kunal2045 tested MM2 on Windows 10 and had textures flickering,

Jet5195 provided a solution:
Go into graphics settings,
select "Hardware renderer" as default renderer (Not "Hardware renderer with T&... etc.)

AND FOR A TINTED SCREEN: Try ALT - TAB, this should reload the screen colors and fix the issue. (It works for me too!)

IF FOR SOME REASON ALT-TAB DOESN'T WORK:
For a greenish tint:
Go into graphics settings,
for the graphics card, select anything other then dgVoodoo,
then select dgVoodoo again and hit apply.

For a blue-ish tint:
restart the game

Kunal2045 and Jet5195, thanks for testing on Windows 10!
BIGzee, thanks for testing on Windows 8!
Last edited by JimvanDam on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:04 am, edited 44 times in total.

Kunal2045
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Kunal2045 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:15 am

Holy crap this literally works on Windows 10. Now I can view the SF city from the GGB with no FPS drops. Nice find!

There's minor graphical issues however. Objects/textures tend to flicker rapidly on my screen, sometimes over the car. But doesn't bother me much and its not really noticeable (I'll maybe put up a video to show). Only happens in SF and London, other tracks I have yet to try.
[align=center][color=black]Sig[/color]
[img]https://www.imgweave.com/view/4838.png[/img][/align]

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Postby zoot » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:35 am

Good find.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Postby BIGzee » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Holy crap this literally works on Windows 10...
Holy crap indeed :tongue:. This needs stickying, the topic I mean. Wonderful discovery, JimvanDam :D. I'm on Win8 and I haven't tried this as yet since I'm in the middle of a storm and I can't afford draining my laptop battery, running mm2. The directdraw patch itself drains my battery as hell. Maybe it makes mm2 use twice the memory/resources ? Will post here, if it works on Win8 when the storm is over.
There's minor graphical issues however. Objects/textures tend to flicker rapidly on my screen, sometimes over the car.... other tracks I have yet to try.
It happens to me with the default DirectDraw patch itself [Win 8]. Doesn't happen with Chicago or NYC, or any other track I've used. Only with the default cities, it derps.
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.

sajmon14
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Poland

Postby sajmon14 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:58 pm

Nice :wink:

JimvanDam
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Textures glitching/derping in MM2

Postby JimvanDam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:21 pm

About the glitching in MM2, does:

in graphics settings, setting the graphics card as default instead of dgVoodoo (or opposite)

help?
Does it make the gameplay better or worse?

And does it make a difference if after downloading unzipping, starting the dgVoodooSetup.exe, going to the directx tab, and setting VRAM to something lower, such as 32mb or even 8mb. (And of course copying the 2 dll files from the unzipped MS folder into the MM2 install folder again(for me C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft games\Midtown Madness 2), overwriting the "old" ones)?

If there is a difference, please let me know and I will update the post.

About the battery draining and lots of resource-usage, the resource-usage is high with mine too, I haven't tested the battery life though. My laptop is almost anytime connected to a power source...

EDIT: I downloaded SF Megamod, and this city has the exact same loading-issues as I see in the original SF (such as parts of the city only loading if you get close enough)... I think Megamod SF will have glitching textures too on Windows 10/8.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:28 pm

This is a cool find from you, thank you for posting. :)
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

JimvanDam
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Re: Thank you for posting

Postby JimvanDam » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:13 pm

You are very welcome! :biggrin:

Jet5195
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Jet5195 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:15 am

What fixed my graphics issues was changing Renderer under settings to "Hardware (3D Video Card)" from "Hardware (3D Video Card) with T&L"... (I can't see what the rest says). I hope that helps! And thanks for the info of how to make MM2 work, it works great on my laptop!

JimvanDam
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Re: change graphics settings to fix issues

Postby JimvanDam » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Jet5195, thanks for testing your MM2 and replying what fix you applied! It's very useful!

I only don't know which version of Windows you have (e.g. vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 /10) and
which issues were resolved after changing the graphics settings (e.g. textures not flickering anymore, less lag, no greenish / blue-ish tint anymore, etc.).

Can you provide me that info?
And I will update the post A.S.A.P.!

Jet5195
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Jet5195 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:26 am

^^

Sorry I wasn't more specific in my reply!

I'm running Windows 10 and fixed the textures flickering issue by changing "Renderer". I still have the tint issue every once in awhile, but fix it with ALT-TAB.

JimvanDam
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby JimvanDam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Thank you for the info, I will update the post!
I never thought ALT - TAB would fix the tinted screen...

EDIT: I updated the post, thanks again for testing!
EDIT 2: Oh hey ALT-TAB works perfect!

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Postby BIGzee » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:27 pm

[Win 8 - 64bit] DDraw.dll gives me a "requires DirectX 7 and above". Just adding only the D3DImm.dll in the MM2 directory works. Serves me with +15 fps in comparison. Even in the most severly high poly areas/times, I get a solid 30fps, which is more than I asked for. Even for a dash. Verdict is it straight up works. How much fps do you get in yours, JimvanDam ?

P.S : I'm using crossfire. So you could try not to focus on my fps diaries. It is supposed to be low. And about the tint thingy - I didn't experience any of it.
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.

JimvanDam
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby JimvanDam » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:31 am

Hmmm... very interesting point. :aprobar: :mrgreen:
I will measure my fps with and without ddraw.dll as soon as I get home!

I don't exactly know what you mean by crossfire though. It might be my fault, I have the German edition of MM2, so I am not sure if crossfire is something in-game or a mod or somthing...

I do know "crossover", which makes The sims 4 / Office 2010 / other programs run (better) in linux. Is it like that?

JimvanDam
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby JimvanDam » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:30 pm

I have measured my fps.
According to fraps, it's a solid 60 fps on a 1600:900 resolution with very high graphics settings. The fps drops to 50 when I fly over SF with 500 mph though...

And if I remove ddraw.dll, leaving D3DImm.dll in the MM2 folder, the game is horrible again with 5 fps (just like without the whole patch...)