CPU high temperatures arround 80

Problem solved

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

CPU high temperatures arround 80

Postby KingAndy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:31 pm

Yep, usually I'm the one who tries to answer these hardware-related problems, even because I already know the answer about this. Basically, my PC has an Intel i7 5500u processor, which although it's not meant for gaming it can still handle acceptably new games. Problem is, more demanding games, such as GTA V, as I stated yesterday, makes it archive a max of 80-82
Last edited by KingAndy on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best active member avatar
Best active member MM1 screenshot-er
Friendliest active member

Most helpful active member
Best MM2 car converter of the year
Best MM2 innovation of the year
Author of the best MM2 mod of the year
Best active user's self amatory site

Kunal2045
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Kunal2045 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:37 pm

I'm pretty sure that cpu is a notebook processor, this tells me you have a laptop, or an Ultrabook, correct?

If so, then that may be the case. Poor airflow, etc. Its a lappy, lol. According to Intel ARK, your CPU's max temp allowed is 105C. So you should be ok as as reaching 80C is extected from games like GTA V which is CPU intensive, but for longer hour plays, idk maybe put an air cooler next to it or something. You could try capping your fps to as low as 25fps via Rivatuner. This should hopefully reduce the workload on the CPU and also on the GPU.

If you have a Geforce GPU, have you played with the settings in the nvidia control panel? If you do have it, goto manage 3D settings, look for GTA V, in the settings look for "Max prerendered frames" or something, and set it to 1, and check that "Shader Cache" is On. See if that makes any difference..

If its not a laptop/Ultrabook, then idk.
[align=center][color=black]Sig[/color]
[img]https://www.imgweave.com/view/4838.png[/img][/align]

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby KingAndy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Yes, it's a laptop CPU and yes, I do have a Nvidia graphics card. Yep, Intel mobile processors have much better thermal resistance than the desktop versions since excessive heat is already a typical laptop issue. However, and just like you stated, even if the temperatures are lower than that, if they're constant for too long it can deteriorate the CPU reducing its lifespan, because that 105

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Postby BIGzee » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:16 pm

Image[/url]

The current average i.e. while surfing the web. It maxes to 101 before automatically shutting off, even when using win8 apps, mm1-mm2 or even mario forever too !!

Woa ... RivaTuner :P ?
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby KingAndy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Well... Those temperatures are really something to worry about, the right question for those is more "how long will the CPU survive?". Are you on a desktop or laptop? If desktop, I'd check the problem as soon as possible, clean all the fans and replace the thermal paste, and if the problem isn't solved it needs a new more powerful cooling system. If laptop like me, for how long don't you take it to a pc store to a clean up and thermal paste replacement? Trust me, I'm so paranoid with this subject because I know the pain when a pc begins failing and throttling during gaming, and when you finally take it to a pc store you find out the hardware is damaged and they give you a 3 digit bill to get it fixed.

RivaTuner sounds like a software to tune your mods (and yourself) to make them the level of Riva's cars. Almost seems something created by Maxoff, "RivaTuner Toolkit", coming with a few extras also to create some great tracks for MM2 and a little program to control the FPS of your games, because why not. :P

EDIT: I've changed those CPU generated FPS on Nvidia control pannel but it didn't changed anything on the temperatures. Meanwhile, to also get even more tips, I opened a topic about this issue on Tomshardware.com and the only guy that answered told me pretty much what I already know: it's expectable of a laptop. The CPU isn't malfunctioning in any way, it's temperatures are always fine, I've even been playing NFS Most Wanted and just like the other games I play, the CPU handled it just fine and both cores were always arround at 56

Kunal2045
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Kunal2045 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:18 am

Spoiler
Lol if only there was a RivaTuner just for having those Riva tuning in our own conversions :P
Well then I guess you'll need a cold storage room specifically for GTA V or something :P

Anyway, RivaTuner is a utility that comes with MSI Afterburner (LINK). It displays statistics of your hardware like temperature, usage, etc. and also monitor your framerate by On Screen Display (Search YouTube for tuts), and of course you can cap your FPS to a desired value. I recommend you download it, install, and once done, open RivaTuner and below the lists of executables click on the "+" and add gtav.exe. Then (while highlighted) on the right side look for Framerate limit and set to something like 30 or 26. This is only if you usually get FPS over 40ish or something. Hopefully this fixes the temperature issue... hopefully

I should've asked you this first but what FPS do you usually get when playing GTA V?
[align=center][color=black]Sig[/color]
[img]https://www.imgweave.com/view/4838.png[/img][/align]

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby KingAndy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:28 am

Ah, I'd wish RivaTuner to be that good to bring the FPS to the 40s and also reduce the CPU heat :P

My PC runs it most of the time at 30 FPS, that can drop to 25 in some areas.

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Postby BIGzee » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:14 pm

@KingAndy: I thought you knew i was a cheapskate :P. Can't afford travelling to the city just for cleanup service. I live in a town where none of these electronic / gadget after-sales services exist, unless the company offers extended service to towns. Then there's cooling pads, but then there's also.... a cheap me :P !!!
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User

Postby KingAndy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:53 pm

UPDATE: Finally found a fix for my issue! I've been searching on the Web and found a guy with a similar problem and he fixed it by changing the maximum % of the CPU usage on the energy settings. I tryed it too and guess what? It worked! :D

I changed the maximum usage from 100% to 85% and the temps now don't even reach the 70s. Plus it will work for everything on the pc, and since the CPU won't ever be at full work, I can relax about its lifespan. And the best part? The game runs with the same settings as before, and keeps the same FPS. Seems too good to be truth so I'm still testing it, but I'm so happy I fixed the issue. :)

Midtown2
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Midtown2 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:40 am

At 80C I was more worrying about your house burning down Han longevity lol

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby aaro4130 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:31 pm

My laptop ran at ~90C for about 3 years, before I cleaned a ~1in thick dust wall from the fan

Afterwards, it ran at <40C :D
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

KingAndy
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User