MM1 Revisited

:!: V3 finally released!

jorge14
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Postby jorge14 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:56 am

Fantastic :D
[img][/img][color=gray] Best MM2 car converter of the year[/color] | [img][/img] [color=chocolate] Best active member photoshop-er[/color]
[url=https://www.mm2jorge14.weebly.com][img]https://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/16/19/81/53/mm2jor10.png[/img][/url]

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Postby dummiesboy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:29 am

Over the weekend, I decided to take a break from all the modding and play online some. It gave me a few insights on some smaller things to fix. Tonight, I started working on Night Rainy, and it's looking fantasitic so far. When I finish a few more things in it, I'll post some images. I'm loving the crisp golden look everything has.

Also, I sent the mod out for alpha testing today. It's getting close to beta testing time, so I'll ask a couple of people here if they want to try it when it's ready. If you want to, PM me, and I'll choose who I think would do best.

NotoriousA
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Postby NotoriousA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 am

Cool, would love to see Night Rainy...
[img][/img]

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 am

As promised, here is an image. It's still in progress, but nearly complete.

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:59 am

Anti-aliasing needed. :P Cool! But can the Panoz seriously reach 220 mph?
[color=white]Nobody told me MM2 works on Windows 10![/color]

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 pm

Dude... it does have anti-aliasing. And the dash is the same in MM2. I may fix it, as well as the 99 Mustang's dash.

whoami
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 7 months

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 pm

It does? How much? I play MM2 at 8x and can hardly see edges. And you imported the dash from MM2? Cool. :)
[color=white]Nobody told me MM2 works on Windows 10![/color]

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:12 pm

4x. I'm suprised you don't know what no AA looks like, because there's a pretty huge difference.

And about the dash, no. I mean the speedometer has the same issue, it skips 200. The 99 Mustang's speedo skips 160, too. I may fix both.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:36 pm

The screenshot doesn't show so much, but is however visible the yellow-ish environment, like lighted up by the lampposts. Great work. :)

Clearly the anti-aliasing is present. The dashboard textures have fragmented edges because of how are made their alpha channels.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 am

Well, there's not much more to see besides the same skyline I've shown a million times. :P

Anyway, here's the beginning of the final phase, Evening. I basically imported my Night lighting, darkened it about 10%, and made the sun shine on the west side of things. The result is pretty nice. Here's a comparison between default and Revisited.

Default:

Revisited:

At this point, I'm going for a more atmospheric look than a realistic look. Mainly because it's easier, but it also tends to look nicer.

jorge14
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Postby jorge14 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:17 am

Awesome work Jeremy, I notice the difference :D
[img][/img][color=gray] Best MM2 car converter of the year[/color] | [img][/img] [color=chocolate] Best active member photoshop-er[/color]
[url=https://www.mm2jorge14.weebly.com][img]https://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/16/19/81/53/mm2jor10.png[/img][/url]

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:18 am

Looks very nice as result, but dunno, I find it too much yellow-ish for the evening time of the day. With the dark night the artificial lights makes yellow-ish what they light up, instead in the evening, being not much dark with the sky still blue and with the sun light still present, the artificial lights almost have no coloring effect on what they light up. Try to make the ambient a bit more blue-ish, but what would be great is have a pretty strong yellow-orange lightning only on the direction of the sunset.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:39 am

I'm not sure how well that would work. I'm working on a dusk look. Keep in mind that buildings have night textures, so being very dark on one side would be odd. I'll try what you're suggesting though.

EDIT: Actually you're right. I did what you said, and the result is alot more natural. I also put Night cloud shadows in evening (using a _N version of the MORNEVE shademap). I really like this look.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:46 am

Yeah, it's better, it's kinda a mix of the default game look and of the previous result. At the end, it's less yellow-ish and I like it too. :)

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:04 pm

At long last, MM1 Revisited is now officially finished. :) I'll be sending it out for beta testing shortly, and it will be uploaded to MMArchive when it's ready. Here is a complete change log of what the mod does, and 19 pictures.
  • There was a point sometime in 2011 that I decided to release an unfinished early version of this mod, due to popular demand. That version is now known as V1. This version, V2, does significantly more to make MM1 an even better game to play.

* Graphics significantly improved. This is the first (and likely only) large graphics mod for MM1, and it makes the game look great. I went to painful lengths to ensure that everything looks as good and realistic as possible. There is no lack of atmosphere with this mod.

* Every single model in the game now has no Level of Detail (LOD) models, meaning that the game looks quite a bit more HD from a distance.

* Dashboards have been revamped. They have been repositioned and reshaped to reflect how they actually should, and they have been given night textures. I also removed the "rocking" effect from them... it was a nice effect, although caused some random jumping up and down issues, and a very weird look when upside down. I also gave proper colors, and speedometers to a few.

* Cops have been added into traffic! They will chase you just like normal cops.

* The field of view for every camera (except the Thrill Cam) has been increased from 60 to 70. This will make the game look a bit more like MM2, and also gives a much better sense of speed.

* Some better sounds from MM2 have been added. These include the Fastback engine, Cadillac engine, suspension, skidding, and traffic light impact sounds.

* Opponent arrows on the map now look better. They have a small black border around them, and match the color of the arrows above them.

* The opponent VW Beetle no longer sounds like a Panoz Roadster.

* The showcases for the default vehicles now show how many points you will get if you win with it in Pro mode.

* Fixed the headlights of every car in the game. They have more natural colors, and the cone matches up with the glow on every car now.

* All traffic cars are now a bit heavier. This makes for more fun collisions, and a more challenging game!

* Corrected the path of the plane. It now flies over the runway, not through the street lights east of it.

* The tunnel dash shading effect now shows in the underground parking lot near Old Town.

* Corrected a small issue with the color of the Fastback's tire.

* The back right wheel on the Small Boeing Jet no longer steers.

* Corrected the statistics of all default cars in the vehicle selection screen.

* Removed "Hide Pedestrians" from the Race Options screen.

* Modified tuning of a few 'hidden' drivable traffic cars. They now handle much better.

There could be a future V3 too, if I feel like I need to add more. It's like reliving the process of making MM2 Revisited all over again.. :P