An awesome vehicle of ownage.

b12man
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

1985 Chevy/GMC Suburban

Postby b12man » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:11 am

I don't recall posting this here... So here it is:

Wheels are made by Steve (aka Quicksilver), and seeing them on this made me want to complete it. So I'm gonna continue with this project, now that I've got the scaling mostly proper compared to the real thing. Nothing's textured as of yet, but texturing shouldn't be overly hard since everything is a separate object (like doors, bumper, hood, grille, quarterpanels, etc).
I like girls kind of like chicken wings; hot, tender and half-price on Tuesday.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:24 am

Very nice car Brian, great work so far, also if it's taking a lot of time. :wink: The new wheels are really good. Perfect polygons placement and very nice grill. Good luck with the texturing, sounds that you'll use real pictures of each part. :)
How many polygons have so far the whole car and a single wheel?
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Zac4084
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Zac4084 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:45 am

Very nice. ;)

b12man
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby b12man » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:54 am

Thanks guys :)
Very nice car Brian, great work so far, also if it's taking a lot of time. :wink: The new wheels are really good. Perfect polygons placement and very nice grill. Good luck with the texturing, sounds that you'll use real pictures of each part. :)
How many polygons have so far the whole car and a single wheel?
I probably won't use pictures for it because I'm gonna have 3D door lines, but if it looks bad I'll use pictures. ;)
590 faces for half of the body, so for both sides the total is currently 1180 polys. And each wheel (made by Quicksilver) is 1148 polys ;)

matt1314
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Postby matt1314 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:16 am

Looks pretty good, nice modeling.

b12man
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby b12man » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:11 am

I forgot to mention that I got most of the body from Geof at MM2C. All I've done is finished the front fender, modified the body a little bit, the hood and the grille. :)
And no blueprints, they cause more problems then they solve...
Last edited by b12man on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Postby Riva » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Nice model indeed. Some normals needs to be fixed btw. The polyplacement is nice for this kind of mesh but the hood vertices are a bit strange. There's a lot of useless vertices from this zone IMO.

PS : if I can give you a tip, don't use a copy of the current body to get a two-sided polies. Either you'll forget to scale it (for a possible video game import) or you'll forget to assign another material in case that you want to remove/edit it. Be warned.

b12man
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby b12man » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:49 pm

The two-sided poly thing was just for the screenshot - most likely, this will not have an interior ;)

As for the hood, I did the polys like that so they would line up nicely when I make the body lines :)

Do you have any suggestions on how to do the normals well, apart from just doing Normals > Calculate on the body object? It doesn't seem to make much of a difference, and the normals aren't good (as you said).

Thanks Riva :)

Edit: got the normals fixed :P

Good?

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member

Postby Riva » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Don't use a simple normals > calculate from the whole object, just select the faces to calculate and detach them, then use the calculate tool.

Here's a good tutorial : https://fr.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate ... l=Traduire

b12man
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby b12man » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:25 am

Don't use a simple normals > calculate from the whole object, just select the faces to calculate and detach them, then use the calculate tool.

Here's a good tutorial : https://fr.babelfish.yahoo.com/translate ... l=Traduire
Ah, thanks for that tutorial. Helped me understand normals a bit more. Surprisingly the translation made sense, too. I was getting prepared to use my french :P

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member

Postby Riva » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:35 pm

No problem :mrgreen:

You can find another interesting ZM tutorial (in progress ; ask to Silent if need) made by Salim (video tutorial).

b12man
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby b12man » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:26 am

Ah, alright. I don't think I'll need it, but it's always good to learn new tricks/methods.

After doing the normals on the bumper, it looks like it's in flat shaded view when in fact it isn't. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :P

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:54 pm

The normals of the car body looks good, but the ones of the bumper, indeed, are looking bad, like it's in flat shaded view mode. Better don't calculate that part detaching it, as Riva suggested. :wink:
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

Riva
MM2X VIP Member
MM2X VIP Member

Postby Riva » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Not so bad but IMO this part need some smooth faces, so try to weld the vertices, then do a simple normals calculate and see if you need (or not) to detach main faces to calculate them separately.

b12man
MM2X Junior User
MM2X Junior User

Postby b12man » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 am

Okay... Well to get it that way I detached each set of faces facing the same direction. So now I should unite all the vertices and calculate the normals again?