13%

Total votes: 8
Mercedes-Benz
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Possible Recovery of Lost Files

Postby Mercedes-Benz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:31 am

Some of you might already know about this trick.

Anyway, a lot of web sites containing MM2 Cars, Tracks, and what-not have been deleted or bought-out because no one really went to them anymore or they ran outta cash. Some of those websites contain cars and other modifications you can't find anywhere else. Until now.

Using something called the Internet Archive ( www.archive.org ), we can "travel back in internet time" and revisit those websites that were taken down that have some rare mods on it, and actually download those mods.* An example is Eric's MM2 Site (ericsmm2site.vze.com) with the NOS Yamaha Golf Cart which I can't find on any current sites. This site was taken down a couple years ago, but with the power of the Archive, we can revisit and download some files, such as the golf cart, from it as if we were back in 2006!

https://web.archive.org/web/200510230106 ... e.vze.com/

* PLEASE READ!!! Not all sites will have working downloads. So far this is the only one I've tested that's actually worked. If you can find any sites that have working download links, go to https://archive.org/web/web.php , type in the website name, pick the date to go back to, and post below saying such-and-such site works (and please give a link).

twcfan
MM2X Occasional User
MM2X Occasional User
Registered for: 14 years 2 months

Postby twcfan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:32 am

I think this website has been mentioned before here, this gives me an idea, using this machine maybe we can go on an old gaming review website and possibly find and download the MM1 Beta! :D

zoot
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Postby zoot » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:02 am

I think this website has been mentioned before here, this gives me an idea, using this machine maybe we can go on an old gaming review website and possibly find and download the MM1 Beta! :D
In your dreams.
Administrator at MMarchive | Arrow Block Entertainment Owner

RacingFreak
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Postby RacingFreak » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:00 am

Ooooollllddddd... nothing to see here. Almost everyone knows about web.archive.org, and yes, it is helpful in most of the cases, but for MM1 Beta.. just no. It pretty much has only low filesize files crawled.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Most of us already know of Internet Archive and what it does. Due to is is possible to visit some pages of the first version of MM2C and MM2X (2000-2001 years). It's indeed very good to visit and download files from no more available websites, at least, what's present there.
Games review websites don't let publicly download the games that they test... And then, in 2000 the Internet wasn't diffused and advanced like nowadays, so obviously the way to give beta and review versions of games was send the physical disc. Has right been so in the cases of MM1 and MM2 beta testing.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|