Project Realism - Truly Realistic Car Physics

A fun little side project I made in a couple of hours.

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Project Realism - Truly Realistic Car Physics

Postby dummiesboy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:36 am

Plenty of addons out there are advertised as having realistic tuning, but almost none live up to it. So I decided to take a shot at it myself. After playing several simulators through the years, I feel as if I've gotten it about as realistic as MM2 will allow, although I kept it slightly forgiving. The video hardly does it justice though. As for sounds... well, they're obviously stolen from MM1, and are really just proof of concept at the moment... although they could be final.

As for now, it just modifies the default Panoz Roadster, although I may do more cars and actually make a project out of this if there's enough interest... and if I can be bothered to do it. If you want to give it a shot, here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/?urkz6x1bvhl63d6
Last edited by dummiesboy on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Most_Wanted
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Postby The_Most_Wanted » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:32 pm

That's awesome man! :D I was looking for this type of tuning for a long time ago, the awesome thing which impressed me that the car has flipped many times and i wanted to put this in all my mods. :)
Best Midtown Madness 2 car converter of the year
Best Midtown Madness 2 innovation of the year
Author of the best Midtown Madness 2 mod of the year

Best Midtown Madness 2 breakout of the year
Author of the best Midtown Madness 2 car add-on of the year

BUGATTIMAN253MPH
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years
Ireland

Postby BUGATTIMAN253MPH » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:08 pm

I've always thought the cars were too fast for addon race tracks and small towns, this is a nice idea, it brings a sort of Gran Turismo driving simulator experience into the game.
Best active member Midtown Madness 1 screenshot-er

Best active member avatar
Funniest active member

Kunal2045
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Postby Kunal2045 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Amazing! :o :D I'm more than interested! Great work bro. ;)
[align=center][color=black]Sig[/color]
[img]https://www.imgweave.com/view/4838.png[/img][/align]

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:26 pm

...the awesome thing which impressed me that the car has flipped many times and i wanted to put this in all my mods. :)
You like the crashes? Good, because I've made them even better since. :wink:

If anyone wants to use these physics as a base for their car, feel free. You might want to wait for a more polished version though, because you won't get flips like in the video above with the file I previously uploaded. If you do use it though, just give credit where credit is due.

This project may just extend to all default and Revisited cars after all... I'm not making any promises, but there have been some developments in the community lately that have sparked the possibility for a fairly EXE modification heavy Revisited 6, and this would be released in it as an option.

The_Most_Wanted
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Postby The_Most_Wanted » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:00 pm

Yeah man that's what i'm talking about, :D good sound you made it at the end of RPM. I had recorded the highest RPM from car in NFSMW and i put in nfsmw mod it was awesome. :)
Best Midtown Madness 2 innovation of the year
Author of the best Midtown Madness 2 mod of the year

e-cobra
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Postby e-cobra » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:23 pm

Nice work, feels better now. :) This is the point where the keyboard becomes cause of a little un-realism as pressing the up arrow is same as 'pedal-to-the-metal' situation, it isn't possible to press accelerator half-way without using a steering wheel or some other controller.
[img][/img]
[url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5362&start=52&highlight=e-cobra][color=gold][size=75]MM2X Awards[/size][/color][/url]
[b][size=84][color=blue]If a tree falls in the woods and no one?s around to hear it, does it make a sound?[/color][/size][/b]

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Nice work, feels better now. :) This is the point where the keyboard becomes cause of a little un-realism as pressing the up arrow is same as 'pedal-to-the-metal' situation, it isn't possible to press accelerator half-way without using a steering wheel or some other controller.
Same way with keyboard cornering. Leaning into the curve or not at all...

I love that crash though! Could I do that in a real Panoz (ignoring substantial damage and injury it would cause)? :lol:

Back in the virtual world...If you're seriously okay with us using this in our mods, I would totally use this for some of my smaller Emergency cars...

...or non-emergency cars...
[color=red]Religion: Man going to God
Christianity: God coming to man

SSMC Studio, offering emergency vehicle conversion from GTA SA, GTA IV, ETS2, & DSF to MM2. See what I do [url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5566]here[/url][/color]

America faces a threat worse than ever before. Yesterday, George taxed our tea. Today, Obama taxes our freedom. Tomorrow, someone may tax our mortal lives. We must act now, to stop this threat. The Rebel Alliance begins here.

StanOfGB
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Postby StanOfGB » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:59 pm

Looks cool, but as you say, from just the video it's hard to tell what's different other than the rev limiter and rolls, which are very cool.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Great fine handling work, it's cool see all those crashes and rolls! :D The rev limiter sounds great, sometimes it's got only going at the maximum speed.
The car spins are nice but not something new to get, and the drifty handling reminds of the Syoryu's drift cars one, hard to manage with the keyboard. Would be hardly interesting play races in this way. :wink:
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:24 am

Would be hardly interesting play races in this way. :wink:
Who still uses a keyboard to drive? And considering how the default races can be easily dominated with a semi, these physics would make the game actually fun to play. And sure it's nothing new to have a car that drifts and does donuts, but I've never personally driven any that actually feel as much like a real car as this one. That being said, I have made it slightly less drifty since the original post (got a bit carried away at first), which makes it feel pretty much perfect.

Stan, if you really don't notice a difference, then you obviously haven't played with the default cars. :P

And yeah Storm, go ahead. Like I said, just give credit where credit is due.

If anyone is interested, here's a more refined version. Audi TT is also modified, but it isn't that great right now. MM2 doesn't simulate less powerful cars too well.
https://www.mediafire.com/?rnor0348y5391fe

Seahawk
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
India

Postby Seahawk » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:52 am

Maybe the first time physics have been made realistic in MM2!
-Seahawk
Third Best New-comer screen shooter of the year 2013
Second Best MM1 screen shooter of the year 2014

dummiesboy
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby dummiesboy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:50 am

So this project has been dead for awhile, but I decided to do a few more cars over the past few days. We gave a few of them a small test run in Multiplayer, and it actually turned out well. Collisions between players, including PIT maneuvers, work as expected.

This mod may see a full release some day.

HummersRock
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Postby HummersRock » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:09 am

Cool.
[url=https://bit.ly/znpgtp][color=deepskyblue]My MM2 Creations[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/o9c3][color=red]My MM2 Youtube[/color][/url] | [url=https://bit.ly/yfqjeq][color=green]My DeviantArt[/color][/url]

BIGzee
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Postby BIGzee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Finally, mod making business looks like its back to mm2x - abandoned projects resuming progress. Welcome back Project Realism 8). One suggestion though, you could try releasing this alongside MM2:HD cuz both of these are going for realism. Seems to me the same has gotta be done for the MM1 Handling Mod too, since its based on this project.

The Aston Martin looks nicely done. But being a RWD exotic, shouldn't it perform a 270/360 on PIT maneuvering, instead of a 180 ? I mean for those speeds at which the car was travelling in the video. And if I haven't told you, in the MM1 Handling mod, PIT maneuvers work exactly the same like in the video, except a little unrealistic and MM1-ish ... which is perfect actually :tongue:
ImageImage
Keanu Reeves chose the Red pill and started bending spoons. I chose ZModeler 1.07b and made my own Matrix.