No votes

Total votes: 0
THE_DriverX
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

[How To] Play Midtown Madness 1 on Linux! *Updated 5/18/2018

Postby THE_DriverX » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:03 am

Ready to play Midtown Madness on Linux? I have created a simple bash script for 32 or 64 bit OS's. Follow the instructions included in the zip file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1inWrpe ... sp=sharing . For reference, my PC's specs: AMD A6 (Quad-Core) CPU; Asus R9 270x (using the Radeon open source driver); Xubuntu 16.04.3 (x86_x64).

Well, here it is! Slightly revised "launcher" with glamor support! The Read Me has been updated. I will not go over how to enable glamor here... that's what Google is for. Here is an example for those running AMD GPU's: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI . I cannot confirm if this works with Nvidia or Intel gpus (if it does, please let everyone here know here in the comments :biggrin2:). Have fun!

*Download in link above

*P.S. : Sorry, I haven't looked into this, so unless you want to drive around with random muilt-colored planes (no, not airplanes... think polygons), I would recommend disabling pedestrians.
Last edited by THE_DriverX on Sat May 19, 2018 3:51 am, edited 9 times in total.

Diatosta
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Diatosta » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:36 am

Currently you have to ask for permission to have access to the script file. Maybe change it so you don't need it? :P
[color=white]MM2 lover! Yeah![/color]
[color=white]diatosta.pt[/color]

[color=white]Also, gotta love when people don't publicize their work or ask for support in their signatures. Also don't forget to check my unfinished mods and donate to my Paypal

Also, one of my trucks[/color]
[img][/img]

THE_DriverX
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby THE_DriverX » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:49 am

Sorry to anyone trying to access the download page... all fixed now! :)

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 pm

I can't try this, but looks to be a really interesting chance to play the game on Linux. Thanks for it. :)
However, I wonder if Wine, a Windows emulator for Linux operative systems, could already run it decently.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

THE_DriverX
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby THE_DriverX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:05 am

Up to this point in time, short answer... no, it can't run with wine by default.

Longer Answer: MM requires an 16-bit colored desktop enviroment. Now, wine can run some 16-bit colored games OK, but MM is very fussy about it's working enviroment. This has lead the game to ALWAYS fail :(. Theses scripts produce a new x server window that is an 16-bit enviroment, however, NO hardware accelration (even though MM says there is one). So, reguardless if you run MM in HW or SW mode, the CPU is drawing the 2D/3D objects (in wines case). Normally, this wouldn't be the case, but, this is the drawback of starting a new x server with no HW mode. There we're patches made years ago to enable HW for the virtual window, but it hasn't been kept up-to-date and is not compadiable with newer linux OS's.

Just to note: MM did run (poorly) years ago on wine version 0.9.5 but then it was broken in later versions (which WineHQ is up to version 3.0).