Ivellios
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Ivellios » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:30 am

Hello everyone, I'm just testing MM1 and MM2 on Windows 10, I've tested them on Windows 7 and 8 before, and I'd like to share my opinions and findings.

Windows 7: MM2 works really fine, beautiful graphics, very smooth. MM1, however, doesn't want to go beyond software renderer and 640x480, no matter what tricks and patches I try. Always 640x480 and nothing more, ever.

Windows 8: both games failed to load. I've tried installing patches and using tutorials from YouTube and this website - no succcess. Goodbye Midtowns on Win8.

Didn't get to test them on Windows 8.1 because some failure in system caused my disk to die and I decided to move back to Windows 7.

Windows 10: surprise! sorpresa! niespodzianka! Looks like compatibility mode works way better than in 8 because thanks to it I managed both games to run. However, it seems that still there are some problems with DirectDraw because both games have lags. MM2 has low fps and sometimes may even freeze for a second or two. The situation is better in MM1 which runs much smoother. And both games need to be run with administrative priveledges to be able to save configuration. Apart from that, I've found no forther problems.

On Microsoft forums I've seen somebody posted a request to improve DirectDraw emulation for older games to work better so there's some hope they will fix problems in future updates.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, spell checker in Edge keeps trying to be wiser than me ;)

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Postby FXANBSS » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Both games works on Windows 8, the lag of MM2 is fixable, but still lags, except of MM1, you can't fix it, so you have a huge lag. (1 Frame per second.)

The best windows to play these games is the Windows XP as i know.
Never tried Windows Vista.

BUGATTIMAN253MPH
MM2X Very Active User
MM2X Very Active User
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Ireland

Postby BUGATTIMAN253MPH » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:02 pm

MM2 works really well on my Windows 7 PC, however the menu does not have any sound at all until I return from a race.
Best Midtown Madness 2 car converter of the year
Best Midtown Madness 2 car converter of the year
Author of the best Midtown Madness 2 car add-on of the year
Best active member Midtown Madness 1 screenshot-er

Best active member avatar
Best Midtown Madness 2 breakout of the year
Funniest active member

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby FXANBSS » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:05 pm

MM2 works really well on my Windows 7 PC, however the menu does not have any sound at all until I return from a race.
I had that problem, but now it's fixed, i don't remember when.
I think when i got my new laptop.

I remember the first games i played on that laptop was minecraft, that on my older laptop runs like trash.

Ivellios
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Ivellios » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:50 pm

Another problem I've found when playing in Windows 10:

In MM1 police cars are invisible. They chase you and you may hear sirens but for some reason they don't appear on the screen.

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby FXANBSS » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:10 am

Another problem I've found when playing in Windows 10:

In MM1 police cars are invisible. They chase you and you may hear sirens but for some reason they don't appear on the screen.
Extremely weird bug. 8O
I hope that is not a joke.

Ivellios
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie

Postby Ivellios » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:46 am

Nope it's not a joke. I'm experimenting a lot to get both games working as smooth as possible, thus I keep switching compatibility mode to various versions of Windows. I don't remember exactly when it happened but it might be in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP3.

Things became even stranger when I switched compatibility to Windows 8 because then I discovered that actually I'm chased by... traffic cars. Yeah, unmarked police cars in Midtown Madness.

FXANBSS
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby FXANBSS » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:29 am

On MM2 traffic cars follow you sometimes if you don't know, but not on MM1. 8O

At least show a screenshot or a image of what is happening there, Oh wait, you can't show the invisible cops. :P

jojo337
MM2X Newbie
MM2X Newbie
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Postby jojo337 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:21 pm

For me on windows 10, mm2 lags but if we put the dashboard view the game runs perfect !!!