Storm Sullivan's Scrap Shop

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Storm Sullivan's Scrap Shop

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:43 am

One thing I've noticed while working on converting cars from GTA SA is, many models appear to be messed up, with big polygons sticking out all over. Sometimes its just a matter of turning the model back into wireframe and deleting the offending lines. Other times the models are so messed up I have to trash it entirely.

Sometimes, removing the offending lines messes up the object they were part of, and sometimes the vehicle is just lain missing some things.

So, when I have a model I'm working on, there's a similar car already in MM2, and I need parts (a rambar, a lightbar, a wheel, etc.), I will post here asking for the pieces I need if the .ar is locked. If it is not locked, I will ask permission here to use parts.
[color=red]Religion: Man going to God
Christianity: God coming to man

SSMC Studio, offering emergency vehicle conversion from GTA SA, GTA IV, ETS2, & DSF to MM2. See what I do [url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5566]here[/url][/color]

America faces a threat worse than ever before. Yesterday, George taxed our tea. Today, Obama taxes our freedom. Tomorrow, someone may tax our mortal lives. We must act now, to stop this threat. The Rebel Alliance begins here.

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:46 am

The first model I need parts for is a Chevy Avalanche cop. I need the rambar, bed cover, and the "whatever-the-black-trim-on-the-rear-window-is-called", off of Zac4084's model. Is this unlocked and are the parts available for public use?

SSMC Studio, offering emergency vehicle conversion from GTA SA, GTA IV, ETS2, & DSF to MM2. See what I do [url=https://www.mm2x.com/page.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5566]here[/url][/color]

America faces a threat worse than ever before. Yesterday, George taxed our tea. Today, Obama taxes our freedom. Tomorrow, someone may tax our mortal lives. We must act now, to stop this threat. The Rebel Alliance begins here.

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Postby aaro4130 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:14 am

If Franch88 gives me the go. I can unlock that AR and get the parts
[img]https://i61.tinypic.com/25zrngo.jpg[/img][color=white]
- Most creative active member
- Most smart active member
- Best MM2 innovation of the year
- Best programmer

[img]https://i60.tinypic.com/2m4c2h5.jpg[/img]
- Most helpful active member[/color]

StanOfGB
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Postby StanOfGB » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm

It's Zac's car not Franch's (as you know). And it looks like the mesh was scratchmade by someone. If Zac asked the creator of the mesh for permission to convert it to MM2, then you could do the same.

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 pm

That's what I did, StanOfGB, the model I'm converting is almost identical to the one Zac converted. Same author even, just two different variations and my variation happens to be a little messed up.

So if Franch says its okay for you to give me the parts, aaro, that'd be great. :)
Oh, and come to think of it, the sound and tuning files would save me a lot of work in the area I find most challenging, if its not too much to borrow.

StanOfGB
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby StanOfGB » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:00 pm

So you didn't ask the author of your GTA car for permission? If you did, I'm sure he'd provide you with the parts too. Derivative mods from other games is one thing (i.e. NFS, Forza models), but with scratchmade mods you could be in trouble for not gaining permission and at the very least it's common courtesy. Speaking of which, you could get those police parts from NFS or Driver SF cop cars too.

Franch88
MM2X Admin
MM2X Admin
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Italy

Postby Franch88 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:09 pm

The car model which you're talking about is indeed a scratch made one for GTA San Andreas, and the author who made it is Schaefft. In theory, you car directly get all the model and then take what you need from the GTA San Andreas mod release.
However, I still have the beta files of this car when I co-operated with Zac to finish it, together with the .z3d file ready. I'll provide the parts to Storm_Sullivan, but before, as Stan says, it's better consider the alternative to take similar needed parts from models coming directly from games; there aren't permissions to ask and such with them.
Fiat 500 = Italian motorization. Franch88, MM2 eXtreme forum and website Administrator.
|Franch88's MM2 Releases|

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby aaro4130 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:47 am

Well yes, before I would have send them i would have cautioned that it's Schaefft's model and that he would need permission.
- Best programmer

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:04 am

So you didn't ask the author of your GTA car for permission? If you did, I'm sure he'd provide you with the parts too. Derivative mods from other games is one thing (i.e. NFS, Forza models), but with scratchmade mods you could be in trouble for not gaining permission and at the very least it's common courtesy. Speaking of which, you could get those police parts from NFS or Driver SF cop cars too.
You didn't read my first line? I said I asked, or at least tried to. Sometimes it seems like all the gta sa modders have left the field with no forwarding address. But it wouldn't have done any good had I reached him. The original cop avalanche by Schaefft is what I'm using, and the parts i mentioned are messed up.

Sure I could get the parts off of the original civilian avalanche that zac converted from, but I'm pretty sure they're attached to the rest of the body and converting to wireframe and back to texture is a skill I'm still developing.

However, I'm a member at gtapolicemods.com, and I've seen a lot of models by people who used his stuff and built on it, so it seems he wasn't overly picky.

So, thanks Franch.

aaro4130
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby aaro4130 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:42 am

Ahem, anyways. This is where my morals stand on unlocking conversions for parts.

If I unlock something for someone else, and give them part of a model. The converter shouldn't throw a fit about it, neither should someone else.

Why? It's a converted model in the first place. The converter therefore does not own the model.

If the model is from a major company, I will send the part of the model. If the model is made by someone else , I will caution the person I am sending the part to that they will need permission first.

So if you need any more parts you're free to ask.
- Best programmer

StanOfGB
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby StanOfGB » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 pm

Asking for permission and not getting a response is not the same as being given permission. I'm pretty certain your book doesn't say "thou shall not steal, unless you asked for it and didn't receive a response".

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 pm

No, it doesn't say that. But don't worry, I'm not a fan of robbery myself. I didn't say I gave up making contact, on the contrary, I just found his email.

I haven't even started on the project yet, other than removing the messed up parts. And just cause I get the parts I need doesn't mean I will be starting it any time soon. I just want to get the materials together now, while I'm still trying to track the guy down. Getting the parts before, rather than after, saves time even if he says no cause I can always use them on other models.

This is a formatted version of my system
1. Open the model in Zmod, look it over
2. if its messy, decide to fix mess or not convert model
3. to fix mess, I can either remove mess off of affected part or
4. remove messed up part altogether
5. Begin tracking down original author for permission
6. Collect any after-model parts I need
7. continue looking for author and get an answer from author
8. if its a yes, which is all I've been getting for my other GTA SA models thus far, dig in and convert model. If no, delete model and move on to the next one.
9. When a large compilation of models are converted, then do final touch-ups (sound/tuning/archive)
10. test in-game

For all the models currently in my main thread, I've reached #8. For the Avalanche, I'm on #6, so I haven't done anything illegal yet :)

StanOfGB
MM2X Super Active User
MM2X Super Active User

Postby StanOfGB » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:53 am

Just trying to help you out, do as you wish. Good luck.

Storm_Sullivan
MM2X Active User
MM2X Active User

Postby Storm_Sullivan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:31 am

And I appreciate that. Just sometimes I get too hot-headed for anyone to notice it. Sorry if I came off a little strong.

Edit: I now have both the parts and...the author gave me permission:)